What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Beginner's Heliamphora Thread

Very interesting thread. Keep the updates coming.

http://www.viewweather.com/w7381263-weather-forecast-for-acopan_tepuy-estado_bolivar.html
http://www.viewweather.com/w7417892-weather-forecast-for-amuri-estado_bolivar.html
http://www.viewweather.com/w7380707-weather-forecast-for-angasima-tepui-estado_bolivar.html
http://www.viewweather.com/w7377242-weather-forecast-for-chimata_tepuy-estado_bolivar.html

As a general rule, I don't recommend temps below 60 for Heliamphora,
nor do I recommend strong air flow
My experience has shown either condition over extended periods will lead to poor growth rates and poor health
Consistency is critical with some species.... some variants of neblinae are drama queens if you make sudden changes

but ymmv, only sharing what I have seen based on my personal experiences and research.

Thanks for the links, Butch! It never occurred to me to look for weather on the tepuis. Maybe this internet stuff isn't just a fad...
Paul

Yep, very usefull links!

These numbers change over the year. They can be much hotter or colder.

Last edited:
Can someone confirm the video CorneliusSchrute posted on the previous page or page #4 is or isn't a tornado?

Im curious to find out as well.

IMHO, Its a lil bit too strong. I think a system like that is useless.

This heli was grown by me in a very simple setup, without any misting. I dont think it can be better with a misting system.

8700667806_bb7d4accb1_b.jpg

Its a very personnal opinion :)

Last edited:
Yep. The mist is excessive with the lid. Humidity is fine without the mister for now: always over 70%. I figure the setup as it is will be way too hot in summer, though. I plan on running without the lid during warmer times of the year and thus will probably need the mister then to keep humidity up. I also have two other fans for cooling the lights when it becomes necessary.

Speaking of fans: I felt the fan's breeze was too strong. I moved it so it doesn't blow on the plants directly. Also, it is tight against the wall thus cutting down on air flow via intake constriction.

well........... my growing condition for the Heli is really perfect but not for some of the HL nepenthes.

The Heli is growing strong right now and I'd rather not change anything. I just need to drop 8 degrees at night........ Which is why I thought of a fan+ultrasonic fogger. I'd must rather follow Maiden's instruction. DAYUMNMMMMMMMMMMM~~~~~~~~~

Yep. The mist is excessive with the lid. Humidity is fine without the mister for now: always over 70%. I figure the setup as it is will be way too hot in summer, though. I plan on running without the lid during warmer times of the year and thus will probably need the mister then to keep humidity up. I also have two other fans for cooling the lights when it becomes necessary.

Speaking of fans: I felt the fan's breeze was too strong. I moved it so it doesn't blow on the plants directly. Also, it is tight against the wall thus cutting down on air flow via intake constriction.

This is so uncertain because I can't foresee the condition during summer and the necessary equipments. I'd rather not invest in summer + winter equipment. Thanks for the video though, gave me some ideas.

Edit: waste of time

Last edited:
Update time, children.

BEHOLD! The maturity of my H. nutans 'Czech'.

After I held a brief quinciñera for Miss Nutans I took some pictures of my H. heterodoxa.

..and here we have H. minor times two.

...and a no ID hybrid.

Finally, little miss H. elongata.

Oh yeah, I also found this delicious cup of green ice cream.

All your Helis are looking great!

Hey,
How are they doing. Did you change anything in the set up meanwhile?

Back