What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 my 1st auction and a question on growing tuberous drosera.

Well I won my first auction, actually my first two.
I got a tuber of a mature location data tuberous sundew.
Drosera menziesii ssp. basifolia
Wongan Hills, WA

Tubers
DSCN5620.JPG

Parent plants
D_menziesii_ssp__basifolia_type_-_parent_pot.JPG

It is my first tuberous drosera, any idea on how to store the tubers and how wet they like their soil. Also does it need full sun, can I grow it outside in zone 8 or should I put in in my unheated greenhouse and shelter it from the elements such as wind and rain?
And is a 50/50 mixture of peat moss and perlite okay, I would use sand but I think it will be easy to distinguish the tubers of this plant from perlite as they are rather red.

I also bought a red piranha flytrap.

I don't know the answer to your question but you'd probably get more responses posting in the Sundews, Byblis, and Drosophyllum section of the forum

Pyro will likely answer when he gets to work in the morning.....i believe he is the resident "expert" other than some of the Aussie guys who show up sporatically...........

See Pyro's sticky How I grow Tuberous Drosera

You can store the tubers eye up in a ziplock bag in a dark location at room temperature until you start to see some growth from the "eye" - probably around Oct but check them weekly then pot them up.

Remember they are winter growers.

Full sun in the winter with max temps in the mid 70's and mins in the mid 40's. Protect from frost.

Note: If those are not your pictures then post links to the photos rather than the photos themselves unless you have permission.

Thanks for linking my sticky NaN :)

That should cover most everything for you. But I do want to address one thing specifically. DO NOT use perlite!! Perlite has this really annoying tendency to be so hydrophilic that it desiccates the tubers during dormancy. Go with sand or APS (or a mixture of both)

I don't know the answer to your question but you'd probably get more responses posting in the Sundews, Byblis, and Drosophyllum section of the forum

Moved.

xvart.

Back