What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zone 10 CPs

P

Pingserasaur

Hey guys, I live on the coast of California in a USDA zone 10 region, the bay area. I'm curious as to what the best CPs to grow outdoors would be.

Temp averages during the day are about low 70s during summer and high 50s/ low 60s during winter.
Humidity tends to fluctuate drastically depending on the day, CA is in a drought after all, with daily ranges from 40/50% during the day to 70/80% at night.
Winds are my biggest concern as the gusts can get pretty strong, especially at night when winds may reach 10 mph or more although that tends to happen during the winter season more than any other time.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Sarracenia, flytraps, temperate drosera, and other companion plants would do great year round outside there.

The wind shouldn't be a problem unless it's accompanied by really cold temps. My plants have withstood near hurricane force winds. They didn't all look fantastic after and some pitchers broke. But that happens regardless.

Thanks Axelrod. I'm pretty new to growing CP's in general (acquired a young P. Gigantea and a young D. Multifida var. Extrema about 3 weeks ago), but especially outdoors. Are there any specific species you recommend that I start with? Or should I just pick whatever I like best and try my hand at a mini bog?

Any Sarracenia species or hybrids are all about the same in terms of difficulty in my opinion. I've had more trouble with the darker color variants of flytraps but that could just be chance or my winters.

Temperate Drosera would be species like D. filiformis, D. intermedia, D. rotundifolia. Just be careful because some of these can be either temperate or not based on where the plant originated from.

A mini bog would be a great start.

Last edited:
Maybe you should have asked "What plants CAN'T I grow in California USDA Zone 10". You are in quite a "Goldilocks Zone" for growing carnivorous plants. There is very little that you can't grow there with a minimum of effort and some moderate manipulation. There are also many many CP growers in your area that I'm sure would be more than happy to help you out with any specifics.

Last edited:
Exactly, what ^ said.

Take a look at my growlist, I'm in your area. The only thing I have in my terrarium are Heliamphoras and some Nepenthes. Being that you're in San Francisco you might even have an easier time growing nepenthes than I do.

Honestly, having a terrarium is also super easy in the bay area. All you need is a tank, lights, and a small fan. Natural temp drop at night and minimal temp hike during the day.

Other plants I have in doors are pings and cephalotus. Other wise everything is outside in full sun.

Though i'm a new grower. Only started in July 2014.

Last edited:
Haha I guess I lucked out with my climate. Thanks guys. A minibog will be a fun first project.

Back