What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"You don't want to be there!"

This Darlingtonia stolon had decided that the corner of the tray was as good place to take up residence. Unfortunately that selected corner is against the door frame of the Darlingtonia House so new larger pitchers were in serious danger of damage.
Contrary to my usual procedure, which would be to leave the plant to mature another season, I decided that it was better to remove the stolon now to it's own tray.
On pulling back the Sphagnum I discovered that this was in fact a they, there were two stolons and there was not a single root between the two of them. They will root when separated but I've found that development is more rapid if the plant is left as long as feasible attached to the mother plant. There was not really a choice to be made so I continued with replanting in a basket tray using live Sphagnum.
Unfortunately the larger pitcher on one of the stolons was damaged in the separation from the mother plant (left stolon in piicture #2).
They are now ensconced in their new home with all mod cons and running water.

27072986172_c760d5c8ed_o.jpg

I'm surprised they get to that size without developing any roots.

The stolons are directly attached to mother plants with roots, so until separated they have all the absorption power they need....

The stolons are directly attached to mother plants with roots, so until separated they have all the absorption power they need....

Very true but they do start to develop their own roots by the time they get to this size as a rule. As I said I would normally leave them until the root system is pretty well developed. These are not first season stolons.

Back