What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yet another repotting question

All,

I've been reading through all the nepenthes post about repotting and I have learned a lot, but still have some questions.

First, I have a sanguinea and am going to order a ventricosa soon. The sanguinea is in and the ventricosa will be in, a 3" pot. The sanguinea appears to be doing very well, but I am thinking about putting it in something bigger that it can live in for a while, and the same with the ventricosa. What pot size is recomended for those plants?

Secondly I have a question about medium. I have read a lot about the different soil mixes everyone uses. I know that my sanguinea is in a mix of LFS and perlite. Would it be ok to grow both of them in nothing but LFS? I have a bag of Chilean LFS handy and wonder if that is sufficient for these plants.

Thanks all

I have my ventricosa and two other of my neps in stright LFS and they are doing great so I'd do it. When it comes time to repot the other neps they will be also in stright LFS.

One general thing about Neps is that they like to be in a airy soil media. That is why people, in their variou mixes, use perlite and/or orchid bark, and or LFS, and/or pine needles, and/or... The two Neps you have are the easiest of the easiest and aren't fussy at all. As Jay said, LFS alone would be fine.

As far as poting is concerned, you can also do a variety of things - planters, hanging baskets, terrarium, window sill, outside,... Personally, I use a planter and have them at a window sill.

Thanks for the replys. What is a good indication that your current pot is too small?

You have roots coming out the bottom. The plant stops increasing in size before reaching mature size.

I just repotted my first Nep in LFS into a slightly bigger pot, no pitchers at this point. It's under my back patio in bright shade now. I also just ordered a few smaller Neps., a Nepenthes sanguinea and a Nepenthes ventricosa in 3" pots.

Tom

I just oredred a Hamama and have a predator on the way too.

Wait, pine needles? Thats a good additive? I'm in Georgia and pine needs are in escapable.

I just got the Ventricosa that really is hard to water in that 3" pot, and it came in peat/perlite to top watering is messy. I was thinking about getting a bag of Orchid Mix and mix that 1:4 with LFS, but if its not worth the cost, I'll just do LFS.

Any opinions?

I like to use half chunky stuff (orchid bark, pumice, perlite, charcoal, coco chips, whatever is around of those.) and half lfs. So I'd go half orchid mix and half lfs. Make sure the orchid mix has no fertilizer in it. However, the smaller the pot, the more lfs I use as they dry out faster.

Caplsock

As a rule of thumb for neps, I use straight new zealand LFS for pots <6" and a 1:1 LFS:eek:rchid bark mix for larger diameter pots.

That would be fine, too.

I juat have one problem with LFS.  It doesn't last too long. If using it as a straight growing medium.  In about 6 months to a year it compacts down and losed its ability to hold much moisture.  Atleast in my growing conditions, and with my orchids. As an addative it works fine, but then again I am not digging around in the soil to see if its compacted or lost the ability to hold moisture as well or not.

Now I know what everyone says is a good mix to use, but I have a ventrata in straight peat, and my sanguina is in straight peat.  My truncata is in peat/perlite, my bicalcarata is in peat/cypris mulch, and my last one I can;t remember the name right off hand, but its in my grow list is in peat/cypris mulch.  All are growing fine, and the truncata's 3rd pitcher for me has really surpassed the previous two pitchers.  It just popped its top so I will need to take pictures soon, but its newest pitcher is the size, if not biger, than a litter coke bottle already.

yea, my raff is in peat. straight peat, but I don't know if it is working well or not yet.

Well I just put all my neps in straight Chilean LFS this weekend. I put my sanguinea and my one ventricosa in a 4" pot, and while unpotting the ventricosa, what I thought was a basal shoot, I found to be another ventricosa, just very young. It got its own 3" pot with LFS.

Sweet!!! Yea, I just got a 2 new baby Sangs today. about 3 inch diameter. One of them already has two basals on it! Pitchers are too cute!!!

Back