What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yess got the new garden up

i used aas well of a 50/50 mix of silica and sphagnum peat as i could determine anyway i will post pics tomoprow to see what you guys think!!!

one quick Q/ whats the best way to introduce them to sun

I wanna see them 2!! Post 'em up.

-Rail

[b said:
Quote[/b] (buddha646 @ Oct. 02 2005,12:01)]one quick Q/ whats the best way to introduce them to sun
Plants, this is Sunlight... Sunlight, these are Plants. I think the formal approach is appropriate.
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, you can shade them with rag bath towels and remove them one by one.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 02 2005,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (buddha646 @ Oct. 02 2005,12:01)]one quick Q/ whats the best way to introduce them to sun
Plants, this is Sunlight... Sunlight, these are Plants. I think the formal approach is appropriate.  
smile_m_32.gif

Seriously, you can shade them with rag bath towels and remove them one by one.
i knew that was coming but do you mean put them over the pot so they only get some sun cause now i have them in a shaded place

There's a big debate about the best way to do this; some people say to acclimate the plants, and others say to just put them straight out there. It depends on how strong the plants are now and how much you mind them getting a little ugly in the process of acclimation.
If your plants are weakened from poor light, root rot, disease or underwatering, then do acclimate them; move them into a somewhat brighter spot every day or two, where they get morning sun and then shade in the afternoon. As you move them, try to maintain the morning sun but gradually add afternoon sun.
If your plants are more or less healthy (if you bought them directly from a CP dealer or grower, they should be fine) then they can go straight into full sun. The only bad thing that will happen to a healthy CP put into direct sun is that it's present leaves, having adapted to lower light conditions, might burn and discolor. But, the very next crop of leaves will be healthy and perfectly adapted to outdoor life. I've never bothered to acclimate any of my plants, and they've all survived. One plant burned when I put it outside, a D. capensis, but two or three days later it was growing gangbusters on the extra light. Of course, I buy my plants from local dealers that are within my climate zone, so the plants I take home are typically pretty well acclimated to begin with.
Keep in mind that I'm talking here about plants that naturally occur in full sun; a plant that lives in shady conditions, such as D. adelae, probably wouldn't survive this treatment. But, as far as Sarracenia and VFTs go, you should be fine.
Best luck,
~Joe

Back