What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Working on a brochure

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Hi NASCers
smile.gif

I have begun working on a color brochure for NASC. For right now, I'm just going to set it up and fill it in with some material pulled from our various topics in the NASC forum. I will place some photos but will eventually will need some "real" photos that maybe the members can offer.

This will be a rough...once I finish the rough, I will try to post a pic so you can see what it looks like. Then you all can make suggestions as to "official" content and photos.

I've seen where several members have participated in various plant/CP shows and sales and I thought if we had a brochure handy, people could take some of them to these shows and set them up where interested people can take them and learn about NASC.

Once its finalized, I can print small quantities here at the office. I just can't print large volumes of them (since they...err...don't know I'm using their color copier...hehe). But if someone knows they are going to be presented with an opportunity where they could promote NASC, then I could mail off some brochures to them.

One thing that needs to be decided is...a headquarters. NASC needs to have an address so that anyone interested in donating, helping or being a member would have a place to mail TO.

Thanks to Brooks and others recent efforts, I can mention this rescue as example of NASC at work. That will be good example of what NASC can accomplish.

Hope to post something for you to look at soon!

Maybe I can't go dig up plants but I can use my hands in other ways.
smile.gif

Suzanne,
Great idea! The NECPS has a show coming up in late Sept, or Oct. (I forget offhand), so a brochure would be great...Once the date gets closer, I actually hope to connect with you guys so I can come up with an actual presentation.

That would be great Dave!
biggrin.gif
That's where we need some promotional material.

OK....here is the rough.  This is an 8 1/2 x 11 two-sided color brochure...a tri-fold, 3 panels on each side.  The copy can be changed--I was winging it on that.  Anything can be changed...except I'd like the Mission Statement on there.  The back center panel is set up as a mailer so this can be sealed and mailed on its own if we need to do that.  The way it folds, the "What is NASC?" will be the panel that shows on the right when its opened up.

Some things to bear in mind:

1)  I used my logo just because...its all I had!  Can be any logo.  Or if we are still deciding on a logo it can be temporary.

2) Colors can be changed.

3) Brooks...I hope you don't mind but I borrowed your Leah photo because I needed a group photo of sarras in the wild and that one looks nice.  Any photo can be put there...any of yours if you'd give permission or any of anyone elses.  Also need another photo...I stuck one of mine in temporarily but want a "wild" one instead.

4) Copy can be changed.  I left the "How Can I Help" blank til I get some feedback on what to put there.

5)  I saw boo boo after I made it into an image file...the second heading on the mission statement should be at the top of the right column.  Oooops!

6) We need a headquarters address.  Also an email addy for people who might want to email information on helping, donating OR reporting an endangered area.

7)  I can do a panel insert with a membership/donating form to be included.

Any comments, suggestions, copy suggestions welcome and appreciated.  But note the space available.  You don't want TOOOO much copy or nobody will read it.  It needs to be short and to the point.

I just realized I forgot to put information on the NASC forum on there.  Oh well...I said it was rough...and I was rushing.  
biggrin.gif

NACSbrochurepg1A.jpg

Front page

NACSbrochurepg2B.jpg

Second page

----------------
Copy...temporary and not "finished"...

Intro section:

"The sun pours down like honey over the tranquil panorama of a natural
wetland bog.  Wood thrushes warble a greeting to the day, the pines
gossip in whispers and sighs, bog orchids and __ dot the landscape with
color.  Water rushes sway to the rhythm of lazy currents, dragonflies
hover hopefully over puddles, the North American pitcher plants stand
tall, reaching for the sky with mouths eager for wasps and springtails.
Suddenly-the delicate song of nature is silenced by the roar of
bulldozers, backhoes and chain saws.  Nature's heady perfume of flowers
and rich earth is replaced with fumes of fuel exhaust, tar and asphalt.
What once was green becomes ugly red scars rent into the ground.

In the blink of eye, all is gone-the rare plants of the wetland
ecosystem erased forever.  The pitcher plants that have grown for
centuries are laid waste and destroyed, never to exist again in that
location.  Our children's children will never know the joy of that
watery wonderland and its very beautiful and unique plants.  UNLESS..."

Second paragraph:

The plight of the North American pitcher plant (Sarracenia) is grave.
Species and natural hybrids are falling every day to habitat
destruction, lack of natural burn, and harvesting-for-profit by
unscrupulous poachers.  Without immediate intervention, many of these
unique plants will disappear and never exist on our planet again.  There
is no longer the time remaining to shake our heads and say "What a
shame."  We must take immediate action to preserve these unique plants
and their genetic diversity for generations in the future to enjoy as we
do.

In 2004, a group of dedicated carnivorous plant growers and enthusiasts
decided the time was NOW...and the organization North American
Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC) was formed.

What is NASC?

NASC stands for the North American Sarracenia Conservancy.  This
non-profit organization, with the help of the carnivorous plant
community and other ecology and conservation-minded individuals, hopes
to achieve a Sarracenia "national collection" which will ensure that
these unique and beautiful North American carnivorous plants will remain
in their native environment and public/private collections so future
generations may enjoy them as much as we do today.  This conservation
effort entails preservation of native Sarracenia sites, conservation
efforts to save endangered sites, legal, sensitive collections of
endangered sites for propagation material, propagation of species and
natural hybrids for future restoration in natural landscapes and
preservation through stewardship in private collections across the
country.

Mission statement taken from the forums...if this is not "official", it needs to be "officalized" so we can use it.

OK...have at it!  Anyone wishing to rewrite this, feel free.  
smile.gif
 Suggestions welcome.  
smile.gif

PAK,
WOW! that is fabulous!!
smile.gif

and I propose we just go ahead and declare your logo the winner!
laugh.gif

its obviously the best one..
we could still vote if anyone thinks its necessary.
but personally, I dont see the need!
great work!
Scot

That looks great! very good

Very, very nice work for a rush job!!!  I especially like you using a line from the song "Suzanne" in there!  
smile_m_32.gif
   Happens to be one of my favorites, too.  
biggrin.gif

PAK,
You may use any of my photos you like. OUTSTANDING work! Brava! iIhave dozens more of sarracenias in the wild. Just let me know what you need. I am here to help.

Thanks everyone. It needs a lot of tweaking! But we need something soon to spread the word.

Brooks...there are the two spaces for photos...front and inside. I like the Leah photo but really if there are any shots you think would work well in those spots, I'd be happy to have them. I'd just need fairly high-resolution shots. There might be something you have that you think would showcase the plants the best.

Scotty...thanks for the compliment on the logo...that needs work too but I like yours as well. I know I'm not the only one with ideas.
smile.gif

I still need some copy opinions. I want an intro that conveys the feeling of "loss."

Maybe Barry would have some copy re-write suggestions?

Suzanne,
Who knew you were such the poet? Great job!

Good work Suzanne
smile.gif
I think the white/green/red work well.
I like the white space on the first one and the boxout on the second.

The logo seems to work well in a diamond, the long name is difficult to fit in anywhere but you seem to have it cracked. Perhaps one silhouette would be better at the bottom?

Do you have access to many good 300dpi photos? Let me know if you need any high res sarra photos in cultivation.

Thanks Alexis. I value your opinion.
smile.gif
Brooks just sent me some wild CP photos. They were nekkid and drinkin' and smokin' pot and hootin' it up. Ooops...not THAT kinda wild...what was I thinking! hehe Aaanyway, I digress.
smile.gif
Those photos made me want to weep (from awe!). I'm going to check those out and see what I can use here.

And...they inspired me. I might make a sarracenia information sheet too. For people who don't know what they are.

I'll try to work on a logo with one plant in it and see how looks vs. the other one.

Thanks darlin'!
biggrin.gif

Simply amazing Pak. You must teach me how to use word (assumption) like that one day. If you EVER need a job in New Orleans, you call me. I could send an architect a letter saying his entire building was designed wrong and he would still smile !

Seriously, excellent work. That is something that I could reproduce in-house as well. I would have to pick up some heavier paper, but definatly something I can handle.

Also, I have a plotter at the office as well. So I can print darn near anything up to 48" wide and as long as needed. (I.E. for ads at booths, etc.)

lol....Actually its created in QuarkXpress.  Not a program the average computer user has.  Its a page layout program specifically oriented for the printing/advertising/design industry.  No respectable graphic artist uses MS Word!  I also use PhotoShop and Illustrator.

And because of that, I can't email the file to anyone to use.  I could convert it to a PDF file which I guess will print.  I can't guarantee the color output though since this is set up for my color copier.  But it should look ok.  Its set up for a standard 8.5" x 11" sheet.  I have excellent 24lb. color copier paper here though which really sets the toner up well.  Looks like a photograph almost.

I've still got to tweak it and redo some stuff but I will post the revised version so you can see it.

BTW...I do freelance!!   hehe  Always looking for work!  
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks to Brooks, I've got some stunning sarra photos to choose from. They are so beautiful!

Thanks for all the compliments.  I hope it can do NASC justice but its always open to change.  That's no problem.

PAK that is so phat fresh!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Awsome JoB!!

lol Travis...I picture you out in the middle of the woods with your hat, jacket and boots on, holding your gun with your dog by your side enjoying nature and the great outdoors.....and then "phat fresh" comes out of your mouth!
laugh.gif
Is that what you say when you see a 10-point buck??
smile.gif

You crack me up. But thank you. I hope when its truly finished it'll look a bit better.

lol Well PAK, I am tring to keep this G rated..
biggrin.gif

Hey Suzanne,
We have a date for the NECPS show!

From our newsletter:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The NECPS will be holding the Second Annual Fall Carnivorous Plant show on Saturday, 9 October 2004.

So I am going to put together a short talk about the society. I would like to either a) blow up that brochure as a presentation piece or b) take it to kinko's and run off several so I can hand them out.

I think this will be a great opportunity to showcase the organization and let everyone know what we're about.

Suzanne, I just have to say again how really awesome I think your work is.  Keep going with the freelance stuff & quit that dead-end day job.  
smile.gif

It's an amazing brochure. I am truly impressed.

- Patrick

Back