What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Sign

My mom made me a sign for easter its pretty large longer than I am tall,I am going to use it when I open up a booth at the Salem Saturday Market but for now I don't have enough stock to pay for a booth.But hey its a sign that would have cost several hundred to have someone make they used there fancy sign making machine they had at work.
My mom is such a cool mom she totally supports my hobby and she bought me my greenhouse and my nepenthes hamata and yesterday she bought me a nice shirt and a Highland nepenthes truncata and two sarracenia. I do buy some of my plants :grin:
THANKS MOM!!!
DSCF2427.jpg

DSCF2426.jpg

DSCF2425.jpg

actually I guess they cut the sign its about four and a half feet tall.

Very nice, but don't be fooled by that cool mom act. She'll expect you to take care of her when she's old.

As an aside, do you live in/near Salem? We got off the train there to visit someone while riding from LA to Seattle a couple years ago. That's a nice area. I liked the Willamette Valley, which I previously thought was just a vacuum between Oregon'e mountains.

Very nice, but don't be fooled by that cool mom act. She'll expect you to take care of her when she's old.

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce,:nono: as it should be and this mom is not above spankings so next time your on the train stop in Salem again for one. Love Mom

Spanking a 15 year old.... that's not weird at all...........:crazy:

Are you wearing Uggs? I love uggs lol. I like to fold the top over so there's a big furry cuff lol.

Right on man! Nice sign. Its good when your parents hook you up.:-D

Josh

Are you wearing Uggs? I love uggs lol. I like to fold the top over so there's a big furry cuff lol.

yes I'm wearing uggs I got my pair for free from a guy who worked at Nordstroms he had gotten a pair for free but they didn't fit.

I wear sandles occasionally uggs.
Well best of luck DM :D

Thats cool

As an aside, do you live in/near Salem? We got off the train there to visit someone while riding from LA to Seattle a couple years ago. That's a nice area. I liked the Willamette Valley, which I previously thought was just a vacuum between Oregon'e mountains.
Yes I live IN Salem not near but IN,it is nice we get alot of rain so things are really green and we have mild winters.

Nice sign!

Jerry

Right on man! Nice sign. Its good when your parents hook you up.:-D

Josh

I wear sandles occasionally uggs.
Well best of luck DM :D

Thanks guys :)

She insisted I have a name that was easy for the public to remember instead of some fancy name, but after she made the sign I thought of a really good name that is easy simple and creative.
NO I will not divulge the name.

Very nice! It's awesome to have supportive parents, mine were/are supportive too of any crazy ideas that pass my fantasy.

Let's hear it for cool parents!:-D

hah my mom has come up with crazy ideas to, she wanted me to try growing my plants in sawdust because its cheap and probably poor in nutrients.

Yessir, she's right hardwood sawdust is great for some stuff which doesn't need high nutrients - of course you can always add blood/bone meal and such if you need some nutrients.
Go to Mills Fleet Farm, Home Depot, Wal Mart or some such place that sells hardwood pellets for use in pellet burning stoves, pour some pellets in a pail and add near boiling water and they'll puff up like coir-giving you instant hardwood sawdust! I bought a 40 lb bag of fuel pellets for $4 at Mills Fleet Farm, who knows when I'll use all of it but ya can't beat that price! If you want those pellets better get on it now cos winter's almost over - too bad it's not available year round!

Edit: I just remembered, Mills fleet farm DOES have it year round, they also have the same stuff back by the horse feed, sold as "stable pellets" (or some similar name) to use instead of hay-they puff up when "dirty" otherwise they fall through the pitchfork. Same price IIRC. So check feed stores if you can't locate them sold as "fuel pellets".

you use expanded wood pellets for your plants?
:0o:

Sure why not? It's the only source of hardwood sawdust available to me and works great as a binder for making substrate logs for wood loving mushrooms like Shiitake, Reshii and Enoki. I can't wait til spring when it'll be warm enough to put them outside and I can harvest my first non paper-coned all natural shaped enokis -my faveorite with garlic and cheese on parmasean sourdough -mmmm! :)

Anyway, you ought to be able to use it the same as peat or coir make sure to puff them up and grind in your hands into "sawdust" again and add perlite, orchid bark or other drainage material cos it'd probly compact without it. You can also use the shredded aspen chips sold at walmart for animal cage bedding in place of orchid bark for about $3 per 1 cu. ft compressed package (roughly).

I might consider using it for nepenthes haha I could probably grow nepenthes in packing peanuts and peat moss.

Yeah man, anything that holds water, is basically inert and doesn't rot quickly should work fine. Neps love good drainage so be sure and add something nice and chunky to help with that.

I've had sellers ship me orchids that they've grown in some kind of soil mix that includes packing peanuts but I don't like it cos the velamen coating of epiphyte orchid roots often grows onto the packing peanuts and you'll damage the root trying to remove it. Not sure if nep roots would get stuck to them or not but as fine as they are it could be a nightmare to try and repot if they do grow onto the peanuts. Try it with a fast growing cutting you can afford to spare just to do the initial experiment.

most of my nepenthes are not large enough to take cuttings they haven't even began to vine yet.

Back