What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wish me luck on my new Petiolaris complex drosera!

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
So far all i've ever had is D. paradoxa and D. falconeri.

I just splurged and bought adult D. aff. petiolaris "Giant" adult D. broomensis, and 2 D. ordensis (they are so pretty !)

Apparently the first two are "clump forming".

I've got a 250 watt MH, really high humidity, and my thermometer broke but the temperature stays atleast 80 degrees (I can increase it if I should) with the water heater thermostat. I was gonna pot 'em in 2/1 perlite and put them in a tray of shallow water.

I spent a lot on these daddies so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right before I kill them :(

Oh yeah, And i've heard that you should use big pots and I've heard to use regular pots. Which is it?

I use tall type 7cm pots (7cm x 7cm x 10cm) And I know someone who just used regular 7cm rounds for his plants.

Heat and light sound fine. I use a totally different media but then I always have so...

THey should do fine for you, just watch them for signs of distress and take action fast if it happens

What should I do if they are distressed?

See if you can wing them through dormancy as that is usually where they go once the get distressed.

crap lol. Any tips? Just keep it dry?

Yeah, seems like when they go dormant it's a fine dance between too wet and too dry. Some of the guys at the LACPS recommend letting the trays go dry with two or three days between watering and only putting the water level up to about .25 of an inch.

:pics:

I would not advocate totally dry. I have taken to keeping the pots in the same tank as the actively growing ones but propping them up on styrofoam blocks. When I water I make it so the water level just comes up to the top of the block and then I don't add more until the water level drops to a film for those not on blocks (the active ones.) The time between "full" and "empty" is usually a couple weeks and the minimal water absorbed by the dormant pot seems to be just enough.

I have never been able to pull kenneallyi through a dormancy but all the others I have had have worked alright. Or at least have not dies yet...

Lol, hey my D. falconeri must be going dormant and not croaking lol

Back