What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windows or Macintosh!

• Thread starter pasoftim
  • Start date
Lets See who likes what here.
I Work on Macintosh Computers all day. This Debate goes on forever!
So I am Seeing how all you CP'ers Vote on which platform you guys like!

NO FIGHTING here!!!!!

Just Friendly Banter

So Im Starting off with Macintosh!

Jim

Ugh, again?? lol
It's been done before. Too darn often IMO
This topic starts about "please help me" and moves off topic to mac vs windows
http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....cintosh
And then there's Ozzy's "help me pick a cheep pc" where it (again) goes off topic to "Windows suck get mac" blah blah....
http://www.terraforums.com/ib312....cintosh
There is more of them... that's just all I cared to find and post at the moment....
Andrew

OH! And you forgot the new option... (or soon to be option? I forget...) Windows on Mac... That's just a confused computer right there... lol

what are you using now?

IF you are using a mac keep with it, if you are using a Windows, get a MAc with the new Windows feture. It just depends on what you want to do now...

I would stick with windows IF it was me...
Cheers

i prefer windows to Macs. my wife hates Mac's with a passion, infact we are an odd duck in the Montana Newspaper Assosiation in that we are one of very few to be PC based instead of Mac, most newspapers run Macs cause Adobe's software started out with Mac only and thats what most newspapers have always run, Adobe prouced software so they started with macs and everytime they upgrade they upgrade their Macs. while i prefer Windows operating system i hate IE.........ever since i downloaded Mozilla Firefox ive been much happier it works better.

i understand there are advantages that go with Macs however i much prefer my familiarity with windows over the few benifits switching to a Mac would get me, besides the wife would kill me if i switched
smile_n_32.gif

Sorry Didn't know about the past topics on computers

me sorry :eek:(

Don't sweat it!
cool.gif
It's no worse than any of the other repetitive things we get. Like "My VFT's leaves/traps are turning black. Is my plant about to die?" Don't know how often I've seen that or similar over the years. As for the Mac/PC debate, Mac has something windows doesn't: Drosera!

Read about it on the listserve this morning:
WebKit Tools for Mac

Just one more reason for us CP enthusiasts to switch to Mac!

You may as well check out the other debates/discussions. My personal pref is dual boot on a PC. Despite what MAC and other commercials would have you believe

PC does not = Windows

I like using Linux because its open source, is reliable and does almost everything I want. There's an amazing amount of open source software for you to get in to, often outmatching or outpacing commercial software. I can find open source programs that aren't marketed, for instance. The one thing I can't do is play certain games. Though some games can be coerced to working in linux or are being made to work in linux, it's simply easier for me to have the choice every time I turn my computer on of booting in to windows or linux. This way I can play my games, but if I get sick of windows, then I've got linux for everything else.

I've given up, it's just a stupid debate unless you add in guidelines. In order to have a debate, we can have an entirely extensive one saying what's good/bad about each, but I chose to accept the downsides of each, but not be limited by them.

Operating systems don't need to be a war, I prefer to make them serve their purpose: they work for me, I don't have to work (and debate) for them. And life is happy (for the most part.)
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]PC does not = Windows

i know but PC is easier to type than Windows
smile_n_32.gif

if someone is using Linux than they say it and not PC.

i might have to try Linux one of these days

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ June 29 2006,1:25)]"My VFT's leaves/traps are turning black. Is my plant about to die?"
Well??? IS IT?!?!!!
LOL
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i hate IE.........ever since i downloaded Mozilla Firefox ive been much happier it works better.
Me too. I can't stand IE. I even try to move the IE icon to the edge of the screen but it comes back every time I boot up.
Does anyone know how to remove IE safely and completely without damaging the operating system? Microsoft can stick it.....

I use firefox too... But keep IE around because some pages really want you to use that...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pasoftim @ June 29 2006,3:53)]Lets See who likes what here.
I Work on Macintosh Computers all day.  This Debate goes on forever!
So I am Seeing how all you CP'ers Vote on which platform you guys like!

NO FIGHTING here!!!!!

Just Friendly Banter

So Im Starting off with Macintosh!

Jim
Mac mini here and just got a Macbook! Also have a G3 ibook dual USB 500 Mhz machine that still runs fine. I ditched Windows 6+ years ago, got fed up with all the crap. I love Macs. Winblows™ will never again see the inside of my house.

Tom

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ June 29 2006,6:36)]I can't stand IE. I even try to move the IE icon to the edge of the screen but it comes back every time I boot up.
Does anyone know how to remove IE safely and completely without damaging the operating system? Microsoft can stick it.....
IE is an inextricable component of Windows... that's part of what the whole anti-trust case was about.

You can remove the desktop icon by going to Control Panel > Display > Desktop > Customize Desktop (little button at the bottom)... then uncheck IE (these instructions are for XP).

As far as the whole debate goes (no longer directed at CNCreefer), well, if you believe that the field of HCI can be considered a science (albeit a soft science) with decades of study and experimentation behind it, and if you believe that this body of research can come to objective factual conclusions about the quality of interface design, then MacOS is objectively and factually a superior interface to Windows. No debate needed.

As far as task-specific logistics of use, that's where things start getting more subjective. Graphic designers and accountants have different software/hardware requirements.

There are also interfaces out there superior to the Mac interface, but not many of them will make it into the public eye because so many of them have moved beyond the antiquated desktop metaphor, which is what the public is used to and has proven it will pay for. The ultimate goal of an interface is to be absolutely invisible. When you pick up a pencil, you aren't aware of all the neural activity and the mechanics involved in that action... you just pick it up. A computer interface needs to be somewhat similar... it should connect you to your data and then get out of the way. But it's hard to sell invisible software. People have to feel like they're getting something. It's a cruel joke that a great interface is destined to be totally unappreciated, because interfaces are by nature only noticable when they aren't working right.

Apple is as successful as it is in trying to grab marketshare because it's playing the "better than Windows" rather than the "different from Windows" game, which is smart, but unfortunate. It can't drift too far from what the public is comfortable with, even if that isn't the best the public could have. So those of us who want real innovation will only get so much satisfaction from Apple as well.

But, anyway, yeah, this thread will mostly be a waste of time.
smile.gif
If only I could resist the urge to ramble...

Bad Jim For Starting all this Slapping hand WACK! :eek:(

adnedarn do you for give me?

Jim

OH by the way Bad thunder Storms here But filling up my 4 52 gallon trash cans for watering! :eek:)

pasoftim-- LOL- I wasn't being serious (well, yah there are lots of topics on it but I don't care if you start another) It seems when it comes to computers and OSs, many people just wanna stick with "what they know" I don't think I've ever seen one of these topics sway anyone one way or the other. It's always the same thing "MAC has less viruses and software problems blah blah" "Windows has more software available for it and you can play games blah blah..."
I'm a windows guy, I played with Mac and wasn't impressed.... I also was givin "access" to a friends Linux box where I had access to my own user name... And in general I got borred in there too... lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CNCreefer @ June 29 2006,5:36)]Does anyone know how to remove IE safely and completely without damaging the operating system? Microsoft can stick it.....
I stumbled across IERadicator2001 a (long) while back. I have never used it so I don't know if it works or not. I Googled it: IEradicator and got a bajillion (OK that's an exaggeration. It was only 41,500) results. Near as I can tell, it's still a free download. Maybe someday when the idea of reformatting my hard drive doesn't give me nightmares, I'll give it a shot. Until then I'll ignore IE and use Mozilla instead. I won't need IE anyway as MicroDorks is discontinueing support for Win98 SE anyhow, so there will be no need to use their browser to update my OS.

EDIT: Found this forum where they are discussing some of the problems involved with the removal of IE. Trouble in Pardise with IEradicator

Been using PC's and windows all along,
since my first computer in '95.
also only PC and windows at work since '95.
(except for a SUN station running UNIX a few years back)
and I use computers every day for my job (R&D at Kodak)
never once saw the point, or need, for a Mac.
Photoshop 7 runs great on a PC.

also, always used IE..never saw the need, or the point, for anything else.
IE is perfectly fine, never had the slightest problem with it.
and I have been on-line every single day for the last 11 years.

(well ok, maybe I skipped a day or two on my honeymoon!
smile_m_32.gif

but "every day for 11 years" isnt much of an exaggeration.)

Im always reading all these things about switching to firefox, or MAcs are better..I always think "why?? whats the problem these things are fixing??"
never had a single virus problem, never had to reinstall anything.
My original Windows 95 machine would lock-up once inawhile, but no damage was ever done because of it..I just rebooted.
I have been using WinXP machines at both work and home for 3-4 years now..daily..never once had one lock up or give a single problem.

dont see the problem here.

Scot

Scot, lol ive been using IE forever to and point of fact i didnt really have problems with it but someone happened to be raving about Firefox on here on a day i happened to be bored so i downloaded it and tried it. basically i prefer how it is set up over IE and it seemed to run more efficiently than IE when on dial-up at home, it seems to load all the text first and than start on the pics where IE seemed to try and do everything at once and got bogged down, made for surfing posts where i had already seen the pics at work during the day but wanted to check up on the new posts on the thread after work at home easier.

You guys don't know the crap we web developers go through to make IE behave like a standards-compliant browser I guess.
smile.gif

Though Safari (the browser that comes with OSX) is pretty awful too. I've heard it's gotten better, but I only have the original version to test in.

Back