What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Last fall / winter I put many of Mexican pings at a west facing window sill that draws the cold from the outside. The leaves became succulent, responding to the cold, dryness, and lower photoperiod. I moved them all back to the rack, which gets southern exposure, along with a fluorescent lighting, as well as moist conditions and warmer temps. I expected flowering. Except for one plant (P. moctezumae x kohres), none have flowered. They're growing nicely and getting some color, but that's it. What went wrong?

Picture007-4.jpg

I would definitely say they are growing nicely. I've had the same issue with my P. agnata and P. 'Titan'

Your aphrodite looks at least flowering size, so I can't say maturity is the problem. Hmm...

Well....the plant on the close left is flowering!...or trying
OOOOO....that's P. moctezumae x kohres, is it?

Well....the plant on the close left is flowering!...or trying
OOOOO....that's P. moctezumae x kohres, is it?

Yeah, that's the only one doing anything this year. It seems that my perpetual state of taking leaf cuttings leaves me with nearly all small, young plants. This is the only other adult sized Mexican butterwort that I have. Looks great to me but no flower.

Picture010-5.jpg

They don't look like they formed Winter rosettes to me.

I have this problem also. In my case, it seems to be caused by either not enough light when the plants are in their succulent stage, and/or the plants don't get enough to eat before entering the afore mentioned state.

I eliminated the pictures but I had two trays on a window sill and the they all went succulent. Anything now is in growth mode.

I have this problem also. In my case, it seems to be caused by either not enough light when the plants are in their succulent stage, and/or the plants don't get enough to eat before entering the afore mentioned state.

You make a good point, at least on the nutrition end of it. I started seriously feeding them this season, but not last year.

Is that a condition for flowering? I had a gracilis that flowered this winter while it was in the succulent stage and i have a Weser or False Weser that is flowering now and it did not go into that stage.
...yes, i grow only a few so i have no experience with these plants.

Maybe you didn't rest them enough? Mine in the greenhouse are still flowering and still tight Winter rosettes. They are just now starting to come out of it. Or perhaps as you mention the majority are simply too small/young.

Mark I am by no means a Ping. expert either. My understanding is that most of the species flower from the Winter rosette stage. Flowering can take place Winter through Spring from my experience, either directly from the Winter rosette or as the plant resumes normal growth in the Spring. I do however have an unidentified P. moranensis hybrid that flowers continuously all Spring, Summer and Fall and stops flowering during the Winter.

Then there's P. agnata that doesn't form the winter rosette and it must flower sometime. As far as I can piece together, I do have a bunch of very young plants, combined with lack of intentional feeding, and perhaps the window sill wan't cold enough.

Well I don't know if this helps any, but my P. 'Titan' is sending up a flower stalk! So far though that is my only ping to flower... I am crossing my fingers that P. agnata decides to do the same, as it is a mature plant. Jim, I think the lack of flowering is due to the maturity of the plants. Maybe another growing season or so. BUT, I am very envious of your 'Aprhodite,'

Thanks, Phil. For the lark of it I measured it's span. It's 3.75". That's the biggest one I have. I think the recent fungus gnat feeding frenzy, coupled with weekly sprinkles of the freezes dried bloodworms have made a difference.

On my Titan, I never really exposed it to cooler temperatures. It has been under my growlights year round and really the only thing I did was water it less over the winter. I DID recently change the media to a higher concentration of vermiculite, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

3.75 sounds pretty big... I would think it is almost there. Maybe we need to do some sort of crazy dance!

Picture021-2.jpg
P. moctezumae x kohres

I just noticed this last night:

Picture-2.jpg

Picture023-2.jpg

Picture046.jpg

Picture001-3.jpg

Back