What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

white box picture of tobacco hornworm

Today I posted a few white box pictures of tobacco hornworms (Manduca sexta) on my blog. Apparently this species ranges into British Columbia, but I’ve never found one. And there certainly wouldn’t be any available in the wild locally at this time of year. I bought these specimens in a local per shop. I was there to pick up some crickets (mantid and scorpion food) and saw that they had some of these caterpillars for sale. Needless to say, I purchased some to play with.

These are fun critters, not that they do much—they are really just big fat eating machines. Hopefully they will thrive and pupate…eventually providing me with some adult tobacco hornworm moths to photograph.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
hornworm whitebox copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Those are very fun bugs to keep. Really, really easy, if you have tomato plants handy. They'll eat anything you give them, instead of defoliating the tender parts of the plant.

Beautiful pictures!

i love calapitters :]

Back