What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which kind(s) of cp do you OBSESS over?

Utrics, genlisea, lowland neps. I do have a bog of sarrs and a highland neps/heli tank that I like but I love my other cps better.

Anything Aussie!

Currently I'm obsessed with pings and utrics. I'm also starting to get obsessed with drosera petiolaris complex.
But I'm now most obsessed with my grow rack which is overheating and because of that looses humidity... not cp but related....

This is easier to word than ones I don't like!

I love terrestrial Utrics, there's something about their growth habit, variety, and various display possibilities that fascinates me. I also like anything with unusual color, whether it's in the flowers or foliage. I'll be easier to phrase this through categories....

-Drosera: I like the pygmies, especially the orange flowered ones, tuberous, and oddly shaped ones a lot. They're fun to photograph with back lighting.

-Nepenthes: Lowlanders and highlanders. I like the dark ones with bright interiors or odd features. I'm very partial to the ones with screaming reds, thick peristomes, odd shapes, and smaller sizes (I do like the giants too). I doesn't matter if they're bulky, fat behemoths, or pencil thin to me. The more variable the species the better for me.

-Dionaea: I'm not partial to the ones that can't trap food, but I love the color variants, like Maroon Monster. They grow very well for me, so that's a plus.

-Sarracenia: I prefer pure species, but the more unique hybrids make me drool. They're native to my area and easy to grow as well. They also add some curiosity to the front yard, too. Big or little, doesn't matter here. I like creating hybrids as well, I have a nice one in mind for the spring.

-Utricularia: Already expressed my feelings towards these, and I can't wait to expand my collection.

-Cephalotus: I need to grow these, they're too cool looking.

-Darlingtonia: Too much work to grow where I live, but I like the way they look, and they're worthy of a sculpture.

-Heliamphora: Not my favorites since it's hard for me to tell them apart (I can't see green), but the dark colors and hairy of H. pulcella are awesome!

-Pinguicula: I killed my primulifloria, but I like the looks of some of the Mexican species. Their succulent growth interests me as well, I just have no clue how to grow them.

Personally, I like keeping a variety of plants. That way one one group goes dormant another one wakes up or hits full stride. Something is always going on this way, and the collection is always interesting.

Last edited:
My favorite cp's are venus flytraps and drosera regia.. I like all venus flytraps INCLUDING the ones thatstay small like petite dragon, and my favorites of all are the mutated ones like Wacky Traps Korean Melody Shark, and the sharp toothed ones.

I also like big curling drosera which at this point is mainly regia..

my favorite cp's are venus flytraps and drosera regia.. I like all venus flytraps including the ones thatstay small like petite dragon, and my favorites of all are the mutated ones like wacky traps korean melody shark, and the sharp toothed ones.

I also like big curling drosera which at this point is mainly regia..

i knew it.

-Dionaea: I'm not partial to the ones that can't trap food, but I love the color variants, like Maroon Monster. They grow very well for me, so that's a plus.

I like the mutants even more than the color variants, but the main thing I DONT like about the colored ones is that there are so many that are almost identical with different names. MOst red ones are the same looking and can't be I.D.'d by sight which defeats the purpose for me as opposed to lets say dente or wacky traps which you can spot anywhere.

Weird shaped and dark Neps are my muse.. although I'm definately starting to lean towards toothy ones.

I like the mutants even more than the color variants, but the main thing I DONT like about the colored ones is that there are so many that are almost identical with different names. MOst red ones are the same looking and can't be I.D.'d by sight which defeats the purpose for me as opposed to lets say dente or wacky traps which you can spot anywhere.

There are a lot that look very similar, which is even more confusing when you're color deficient. I only go for the ones that are easy to tell apart. Shape does help. I do have to admit, "Alien" looks awesome! That's one mutant I would buy. I have a typical that I guess could be considered a mutant. It has 7 sensory hairs per lobe and anything that touches the traps rarely escapes.

There are a lot that look very similar, which is even more confusing when you're color deficient. I only go for the ones that are easy to tell apart. Shape does help. I do have to admit, "Alien" looks awesome! That's one mutant I would buy. I have a typical that I guess could be considered a mutant. It has 7 sensory hairs per lobe and anything that touches the traps rarely escapes.

Thats true as well for some of the shape variants liek jaws, big jaws, sharks teeth, dente... I dont think they each need their own name necessarily. Alien is prety cool. Im gonna try to get one this spring with some other mutants as well.. right now all of mine are in the firdge though :lol:

Neps for sure.....paticularly HL neps.

Without a doubt, neps. So many shapes, patterns, sizes. So much variability and possibilities with hybrids and I always want to increase my collection. But, they get big and gangly, thus the primary reason I have to keep my collection somewhat small.

all nepenthes...and most of all the fringed four (Hamata, villosa, edwardsiana, Macrophylla)
And heliamphora even though I dont own any they are still pretty boss...

I don't know that there are any I'm obsessed with, but I do really like sarrs (both the hybrids and pure species), and Drosophyllum lusitanicum is probably the single species I'm most interested in. It's just incredible how many insects a dewy pine will catch, and their honey scent is unlike anything else in the plant kingdom. The fact that they're from a mediterranean climate is also really cool. However, since there is only the single species and no cultivars, there isn't really room for a proper obsession to grow - I have my one plant and I'm satisfied with that. On the other hand, I'm constantly adding to my sarr collection.

I obsess over Nepenthes. Most specifically Nepenthes argentii

Mexican Pinguicula does it for me!

Nepenthes ampullaria, without a doubt.

Back