What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

when a flower becomes a "pod"

I'm still a bit confused as to when a flower becomes a seedpod, how does one tell on a capensis for instance.

here's what I have now, its been flowering for over a month now so at what point do I want to try and harvest the seed before it decides to drop them itself?

img3481nn8.jpg

...at what point do I want to try and harvest the seed before it decides to drop them itself?
Watch the base of the flower. Once the seeds are fertilized the base swells as the seeds form and grow forming the (seed) pod. After several weeks the pod turns brown and starts to dry out. When it has dried out enough, it will begin to split at the top where the flower petals were attached and the seeds will fall out. You can harvest the pod when it has turned completely brown but has not split open. Otherwise you have to check the pod regularly to see when it starts to split open so you can harvest the seeds.

Let them turn black.

ok, so the part that is green right now will turn brown/black then. I was thinking it may be on the inside under the flower were I cant see.

Yep, it's in there ! Let em turn brown/black first. You'll see them start from the oldest first getting drier. Try cutting a couple off and experimenting with picking then apart with a needle. Don't worry there will be plenty of seed coming !

thanks, I actually read that before asking. I'm just a visual person so I needed to make sure I was interpreting it right.

Back