What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all, I've been postin since Summer so I figured I might as well introduce myself...

Instead of tellin you all about what other things I do, I'll tell ya about my CP history:

Started in like 5th grade I think? That nature program that I think probly got alotta you others into it as well. From there to the library to an eloborate report in 6th grade to a failed attempt at growing in like 8th grade?

Fast Forward abit to when I was gettin ready to study in Italy and backpack afterwards and my friend who worked at Borders gives me this new book that just came out called "The Savage Garden". Read that on the planes and many trains I took and came across a big garden market in Amsterdam that had TONS of CP's... and yes I did party my *ss off there.

Fast Forward again to when after the years of dating a French exchange student who finally got her Work Visa to come to the US and she ends up in... SF!
I figure, What-the-Hay.. I picked up and moved out there... turns out the guy who wrote the book I liked so much has a nursery just outside of SF so I hadta check it out.
That was the beggining of the end for me, for now I am forever hooked...
Got to be cool with Peter, he hooked me up with some great plants and I found CP's everywhere in SF, they're EVERYWHERE! in Supermarkets, florist's, you name it!
I grew outdoors on the balcony until I hadta move outta SF cause my career field is just not well represented there like it is in NYC.
Peter showed me how he ships his plants and I did the same and packed em into my checked luggage which can be a LOT bigger than you expect.

Moved back to Long Island, New York and learned about basement terrarium growing which worked well for awhile.. then I moved into Brooklyn again, but this time in Williamsburg. And not the nice part. Great party spot, awful building/super/landlord/neighbors and too hot in the Summer for some of my plants.. Outta there in like 7 months cause of problems with the building/super/landlords/neighbors and back to basement growing on Long Island.

Then I joined the NECPS and that was a definitive moment in my hobby. I learned so much, got to talk to other people who were intersted as well, got some great new plants. I can't emphasize how important it is to get involved in a society.
Anyway, I've been involved in the society for over a year now, showed some of my best plants in the past show, started propagation of some of my better plants, perfected the environments for my plants, expanded my collection quite abit and now I still live on Long Island, but have probly the best place to grow indoors, a garage apartment that's well shaded by trees and has two floors: The first floor is cool in summer, cold in the winter. Upstairs is always warm. I have plants that grow cool like King Sundews doing excellant downstairs with lowlanders upstairs and temperates upstairs in the growing season and in the pantry downstairs which gets cold for their dormancy.

Went from awkwardly growing weird plants on my own to being part of a society and posting on a board with growers from all over the country and world and feeling more like a part of a community I never knew there was...

Sorry if this long, I'm just bored at work...........................

yay NECPS! are you the guy who got the copy of Little Shop of Horrors that I brought to the 2005 Yankee Swap? and we talked about godzilla movies or something at the show?

Yepper! That'd be me... good to hear from ya, Yankee Swaps are always fun!
And FYI, I picked up the 2-DVD set of Godjira, the original Japanese version. So much better, any G-Fan has gotta get it.

Didn't know you were a G-fan man, good to know!!
If you're ever comin to Canada near Niagara Falls, PM me and we can hook up and chew the fat, maybe watch a fine piece of Toho (IF we can agree on which one to watch)

Monster Zero!! Haha... Also a fan of animation of any kind, especially the SpongeBob movie! And picked up the "Wallace & Grommit Crackin' 2 DVD Disc Set"
Dunno when I'll be up around there but when I am, I'll be sure to look ya up!!
Quebec, Vancouver & Montreal are all on my "would like to travel to" list

Yepper! That'd be me... good to hear from ya, Yankee Swaps are always fun!
And FYI, I picked up the 2-DVD set of Godjira, the original Japanese version. So much better, any G-Fan has gotta get it.

And if ya ever visit Carl, he is well-versed in Star Wars, Star Trek, and world & Canadian politics (except for Quebec). He also does an excellent impression of Yoda!

Both a Star Wars AND a Star Trek fan, now that's rare indeed! We are a minority in the Sci-Fi world my friend...

Back