What's new

What you think of this...

I know there are going to be some people here that I going to say it's a outdoor plant ... Most are ;-) or have been before they was brought inside.

However I have stumbled on this image here

http://www.thefernandmossery.com/2009/08/ken-marten-pitcher-plant-terrarium.html

Which seems to be doing rather well... and it looks older than a 1 year thus I would say that there system works.

Points Of View please

Noddy

It looks good ...so? Anyone can take the plants and put them in a jar....the problem is to succesfuly grow them in there for more than a month. Think about it!

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
I'll throw in my two cents here. There is no way around it... period. Sarracenia NEED dormancy to survive LONG TERM. Can you get away with skipping a dormancy? Sure, perhaps you can, but it will weaken the plant. Eventually missing several dormancys will most likely take its toll and will result in the death of the plant.

I would be convinced "the system works" if we:

A. Had a timeline rather than just a picture
B. Were provided data that shows exactly how this plant is being grown.

Until then it is a leap in logic to assume "their system works".

The bottom line is this... Sarracenia need dormancy for a reason. I know how people feel... it is sad not getting to enjoy the plants 24/7. I have a Leah Wilkerson that I bought when it was dormant... talk about a tease.

Perhaps those that are far more exprienced than I can chime in. And whatever happens in the coming posts, don't take it personal :)

I agree with the dormancy, however as long as the plant rather water inside did not freeze then I think it would work as the ice would expland and crack the glass.

I see there's a good air vent...

It's a interesting thought I know... But I have had my mine indoors not that style of plant but other's now there chilling in the snow... Test year

Thoughts every one

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
It must be a pain in the *** to repot those plants. Wait, how exactly did they get into the jar in the first place? :0o:

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Well, I want to say one thing. Just because a plant is in a vase on a window, does that mean it isn't getting its needed dormancy? I could see someone putting a plant like that asleep in a cold basement for awhile then waking it up after its needed sleep. I still don't like the look of it though. Its unnatural and honesty, I think its ugly.

Nepfreak

Nepenthesian
No way those plants have been growing on that windowsill for more than a week, otherwise they'd be green and etiolated.

Upon looking and reading a little further in his picture comments. I wonder if the plant will survive due to dormancy and/or water. He states he has NEVER watered it since making it! He also states that in any other arrangment he has made with these type of plants they have never lasted more then a week! He states it's because of humidity and light reasons but I have a feeling there's a water issue too (not enought water/wrong water). It does look very nice I must say, and I'm sure there would be a market in fake/dried arrangments.

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
Looks like a TC plant still showing a little vigor from the hormones. I seriously doubt this could work in practice; even if you could meet the other conditions, enough light for proper growth would promptly cook a plant in a container that small. And in the long term, rhizome growth would necessitate breaking the plant out of the vase to repot. (Unless you've got some snazzy ship-in-a-bottle-style gardening tools, maybe.)
It doesn't really appear all that healthy to me. I would guess the only reason the pitchers aren't all flopped over is because there isn't any room for them to do so.
~Joe

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
Looks like it's probably a 'Dana's Delight,' which we all know should look more like:
sarra-danasdelight.jpg

(points to Brokken for that beautiful plant and pic)