What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What size pot?

I just got back from Lowe's with my mother. There, I saw the usual few Cps that were dying, but I noticed 6 VFTs that couldn't have been there for longer than a couple of days. There was no sign of any death, they were perfectly green with some red in the middle. They weren't large, though. They were the ones in the small cubes. Anyway, I bought all 6, because I know that they can survive in my backyard perfectly, but I wanted to plant them all in the same pot to where they all will eventually just look like a large clump of VFTs.

What size pot should I buy. As in diameter, depth, what type of pot (I would assume plastic since I know how harmful terra cotta is.)

A 15cm+ diameter plastic pot would be good. The depth should be a minimum of 11cm I would say.

Hi Ryan/NineteenNine-- Your profile says you are in Lubbock, Texas, US. I'm just down the road from you about 2 hours, near Clovis, New Mexico. Nice to see someone else from this region at TerraForums.

The planter you choose for your VFT colony can be any size with regard to the amount of soil surface, but consider having at least 6 to 8 inches of soil depth for the VFTs' roots.

I typically plant VFTs in small colonies of 3 to 7 plants in a 6-inch, 8-inch or 10-inch diameter pot. Let's see, inches to centimeters (us U.S. people need to learn the metric system better). The pots I use are about 15.5, 20.5 or 25.5 centimeters in diameter, and I would suggest 15 to 20 centimeters depth of planting medium. I have VFTs whose roots are that long, perhaps as a result of my cultural habits. I tend to keep them moist, not saturated with water. I think they like the extra air around the roots, but people grow them in all kinds of conditions and everybody has their favorite technique.

Have fun--
smile.gif

A 10 inch (about 25 cm) pot is good for 5-6 VFT.

Back