What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What makes my Hamata's lids close?

They can take over 85 .... my greenhouse gets up near 90 on a sunny summer day. However, there is a misting system and exhaust system. So the air is fresh and moving. I would say that much over 85 in an enclosed terrarium could be risky even with fans blowing the air around because your lacking the fresh air exchange you find in a big greenhouse or out in the wild.

It's just a matter of getting to know your setup and the plants and how they respond in your situation. If the pitchers lids start drooping then you know something isn't quite right. Otherwise they are probably fine.
Tony

Alright............out with the old, in with the new. Does ANYONE know a place where I can buy a MINI AC unit?? I need to get better temp and humidity for my Rajah ice isn't cutting it now. I am out of ideas and need a better setup, ice is OK for winter but not summer!!!
wow.gif
I found that out today.
tounge.gif
Any ideas or websites with MINI AC's? Thanks, also Tony- got any ideas?

Nep G,

I don't know about mini-ACs, they sell chillers for reef tanks but those are horribly expensive ($600+) whereas my tabletop/window AC from Home Depot was $118 ($124 with sales tax) It works just fine for the room and the terrarium together. If you wanna see how I got my setup, setup click to:
http://the-natural-aquarium.com/highlandterr.html

This page is mainly info about how I'm chilling it now how I built it or any of the other features. I need to update with the larger input vent and the humidifiers new hookup someday I fix up the page. Right now I'm thinking "patio greenhouse" for my condo... I wonder if I'll get away with it!?
smile.gif

Nep g,

I've been looking for mini-Ac's for a while now, and I haven't been able to locate anything useful.
sad.gif
There was one place that had a cooling device with a peltier (supposed to be super heavy duty), but I think that they are very expensive. Anyway, I was talking with my mother about this (she asked why I had so many bottles full of ice in the refrigerator
smile.gif
) and she said that I might try getting a ice box compressor and modifying it for my terrarium. She says she knows a guy that buys replacement part for refrigerators that might know how to set it up. She also says that it might not be too expensive. Just a thought.
smile.gif

Joel

Thanks guys! And Josh I'll check out the link.

Hi nepenthes gracilis,

wouldn't it be easier to put your N. rajah in the fridge over night? Using a small styrofoam box the temperature drop would be quite slow and should suit the plant very much. It would even cost much less energy than freezing the bottles you use now...

Joachim

N.G.,

If the outside temp is cool enough, you can move your N. rajah outside as well.

I have thought of both of those setups/overnight enclosure deals but am not sure how I would keep the humidity high. I am just a little dazed right now my friends, with the greenhouse construction and some other stuff I am not thinking right sometimes so I really apprecaite your help! Well, I think I may have figured out something. Last night it was gonna be about 58F out so I open the window by the Rajah terrarium and set my ice in. this morning I come down and the temp was 48F! Nice and cold! Coldest I have EVER had it. and last night I wanted to see a difference so i unplugged the lights so they wouldn't come on and add lots of heat and wadda know it worked and still right now at 6:40 Am it is 50F so perhaps I have figured out something again. But I am really interested in the styrafoam box deal Joachim mentioned. But how could you keep the humidity in the 80-90% over night in that setup?

Back