What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of rubbish is this?

• Thread starter PlantAKiss
  • Start date
Ozzy...nooooooooooo!
smile_h_32.gif
Not you too!

Yep...fee evasion is overcharging on the shipping. Mineral sellers do it all the time. Sell a rock for 2.99 and charge $14 to ship something they could mail in an envelope for 1.29. People do that because the money they make on shipping is free of any eBay commission on the final sale price. Its just ripping eBay off of the commission and putting the burden on the buyer.

There are times I've wanted something enough to buy the item with the ripoff mailing fee but I try to stay away from any sellers who overcharge on shipping. And it does hurt eBay. They recently raised their fees which will hurt everybody. Perhaps they wouldn't keep having to raise their fees if they were making the commission that's required of each sale. The more people evade the fees, the less eBay makes...the more they will increase other fees to make up for the losses. It hurts everybody.

I do note it in my feedback most of the time. Just because I agree to PAY the exhorbitant fee doesn't mean I have to like it. Its totally within my rights to note in feedback that the shipping fee charged was excessive.

I do not know anyone who uses eBay who likes paying excessive shipping. Everyone I know hates that practice as much as I do. So I give my business to fair sellers whenever possible.

I always say in the first line of the desription to look at my shipping policy and if they don't agree then please don't bid. I explain how it keeps my cost down so I can sell the item cheaper. They overall pay a lower combined price. But I don't sell vey often.

huh...seems like they all rip off ebay a lot then. On the other hand, E-Bay is one of the greatest internet stocks besides google as of late. They use to blow out their earnings all the time and still make a good lump some of money. Some people it is a business and those fees hurt the people trying to make a living off of selling stuff on E-Bay.

The problem with putting the profit onto the shipping and cutting out Ebay's percentage is that it feeds into a cycle of escalating fees as Ebay tries to "get theirs". The ultimate end of the process comes out of YOUR wallet as dealers raise their shipping to make up for Ebays higher listing fees. The buyer is the ultimate loser in this never ending battle for the buck. The beauty of Ebay is there are some amazing deals to be had, but that margin is eroding every time Ebay ups the listing fee. I boycott flagarant examples of padded shipping although I don't report them. I might pay 10.00 for an opening bid, but would pass if it were .01 with a 9.99 shipping. If everyone followed suit, there would be far less of the raising of listing fees, and everybody is happy.

Well I am technically an ebay seller (but I only made $10). I can't figure out the shipping button. I was selling books that weighted from 1-3 pounds (depending on the book) and so I told ebay to do the calculate shipping but it came up with something like $20 for the threee pound book. + I don't really know the costs for priority except 1 pound and under.

If you know the weight and zip code youre sending to, you can calculate the shipping at www.usps.com. They have a thingy that walks you through and asks questions about what you're shipping and how you want to ship it and then it calculates it for you.

Back