What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of music do you listen to?

• Thread starter adnedarn
  • Start date

What kind of music do you listen to? - Brought to you by grim

• Country/Folk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rap/R&B

• Techno

• Heavy Metal

• Rock/Alternative

• Blues

• Classical/Instrumental

• Reggae

• Jazz

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters
Yup, Mabudon named many of my classic faves from childhood!
My parents were into music like Led Zepplin, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, BOC, etc..so I was introduced to hard rock early on and my first record I got to buy was the debut Maiden LP. When I was a skater I moved into listening to punk and hardcore like Dead Kennedys, Crass (I've had shokuchuus avatar/icon tatooed on my arm since I was 13)/Conflict, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Vandals, SNFU, etc.. But since my punk friends moved away I went back to metal and became a metal journalist for the last 13 or so years. Publishing different zines and writing for other folks mags. My favorite magazine was Battle Helm (I published it from 1998-2001) in which I got to interview, meet & party with many of my musical heroes (or anti-heroes) like Virgin Steele/Pile Driver, Wasp, King Diamond, Venom, Impaler, Misfits, Thor, Sodom, Destruction, Accept/UDO, Dio, Doro Pesche/Warlock, Witchfynde, Bathory (R.I.P.), Sabbat/Skyclad, Sepultura (I admit, Morbid Visions is the only stuff of theirs I like), Hammerfall, Gwar (just because!), Motorhead, Rob Halford, Dee Schnieder, etc...

I also did some over the top concept studio projects/bands in my day; Cernunnos Woods- ambient druidic folklore (4 albums), Sigillum dei Draconis- experimental noise (2 albums), as well as some guest storytelling/narrations (using the "old man" voice from Cernunnos Woods) on a couple celtic folk albums by ...The Soil Bleeds Black.

I like it all.....except rap. All depends on the mood I'm in.

ha ha, speaking of "old metal" my Uk writer of Battlehelm.com (a malaysian fellow named Shan Siva) has just sent me his interview with Robert Sweet ex-Stryper! Remember the silly christian metal band who had the big yellow and black tank and yellow and black jumpsuits? well here's a link to the new interview I just laid out, http://battlehelm.com/interviews/blissed.htm  
....I realize I forgot to add a homepage link from the inteview...!

I like
techno/trance
J-pop
Instrumental - anime background music and some other kinds. Ever heard of the 12 girls band? They are awsome.
Classical
disco and other light rock

I am mostly into hard rock/heavy metal but I listen to soft rock, country, bluegrass.
Ever hear of Yingwie Malmsteen? Kind of like classical rock.

Malmsteen, good guitarist if you like the guitar wizard kinda stuff-my fave is Uli John Roth but I really feel for Malmsteen's bands that gotta put up with him!

Not once but twice he's left his bandmates abandoned at gigs in Minneapolis that I've covered. Once at Dio's Magica Tour and another time at Lizzy Borden's Deal With the Devil tour. I'm backstage doing the press crap and here's his mates happily walking out after an always well recieved show only to notice find the Malmsteen bus swiftly zipping away and them left standing there jaws agape! I felt bad for them cos both times was mid winter and it's usually a nippy -30*F here in January.

Anyone ever hear of a group called Nightwish? A friend of mine turned me on to them. I've asked a couple of people if they have heard of them. I just get quixotic looks. Oh well.

Ever heard of cake? I saw them live. they were pretty awsome
biggrin.gif

My favorite band of the past few years is the Drive By Truckers.  There last 3 albums have been absolutely phenomenal.

Other bands/artists I really like (a mix of altcountry and rock):

Slobberbone
Everclear
Wilco
Steve Earle
Sweet Water
Neko Case
Saigon Kick
Johnny Cash
Merle Haggard
Second Coming
Tesla
Robert Earl Keen
Charlie Robison
Alice In Chains
Modest Mouse
Oasis
Blind Melon
Hum
Mindfunk
David Allan Coe
Third Eye Blind

and tons more.   i have around 800 CDs, plus about a hundred more on my hard drive that I checked out from the library.

My favourite band by a long shot; Rush

I like most prog rock bands like Yes, ELP, but I listen to U2 a fair bit.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ Oct. 07 2004,2:20)]Jimscott at my mag's current state of existence Battle Helm Magazine online
in the interview archive there's a Nightwish interview.
smile.gif
Cool Whip! Thanx, dude!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Oct. 07 2004,6:55)]Anyone ever hear of a group called Nightwish? A friend of mine turned me on to them. I've asked a couple of people if they have heard of them. I just get quixotic looks. Oh well.
from Finland? I have. it's the most popular metal(?) group here in Scandinavia right now. I like them too..

Progressive classic rock, particularly Genesis, Beatles, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, and Jethro Tull.

I also enjoy many of the various video game soundtracks that come out of Japan, particularly those from SNK or Squaresoft.

And I dabble in some techno/electronica every now and then.

I voted for rock because mostly I listen to stuff like blink 182 , yellowcard and linkin park but if I had the choice to pick more I'd also pick classical and jazz . I can't stand rap , r&b , country or reggae but I do listen to some heavy metal onc ein a while .

Good ole Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, and Travis Tritt for me
smile.gif
Though of course, I do enjoy some 3 Doors Down, Seether, Evanescense. Pretty much anything anymore... even listen to a bit of jazz and classical. Depends on my mood and where I am.

You like the Dixie Chicks,and SheDaiSy Krom?

Pondboy: Yup. Pretty much the new hot country is on my list of likes.

Back