What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this?

352f91c3bb333d587c6e0789f27d16ba.jpg

c97c89c54e31858c6df83bc452fc421e.jpg

4ced8195a63c326325cecd9be7b3f995.jpg

09e321efa19a8766467055247ed21043.jpg

ab9dd165db73295c10a0c9298800af63.jpg

Is this Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Purpurea or Purpurea ssp. Venosa or Sarracenia Rosea? Any tips for this species of Sarracenia? Can I use osmocote for it?

As I am living in a tropical region, is it possible for me to let it undergo dormancy in the fridge?

It looks like some kind of Purpura hybrid to me. Fridge dormancys do not work well in my experience. I can't tell you how many vft's I've lost to it. You might want to build a terrarium so that you could control the light cycle and lower the temperature to put it in dormancy. The compressor from a mini fridge might do the trick. I've never done that myself though. You could also get a small refrigerator with a glass door, which would allow the plant to photosynthesize. Which is usually the problem with vft's in a fridge.
You MIGHT be able to add some osmocote to the pitchers but never the soil. I hope that helps.

Last edited:
It's of the purpurea complex, but without flowers it may be hard to make a certain ID. I'd lean toward venosa currently, perhaps even montana.

It looks like some kind of Purpura hybrid to me. Fridge dormancys do not work well in my experience. I can't tell you how many vft's I've lost to it. You might want to build a terrarium so that you could control the light cycle and lower the temperature to put it in dormancy. The compressor from a mini fridge might do the trick. I've never done that myself though. You could also get a small refrigerator with a glass door, which would allow the plant to photosynthesize. Which is usually the problem with vft's in a fridge.
You MIGHT be able to add some osmocote to the pitchers but never the soil. I hope that helps.
I’m living in an apartment and the only way I can get 5 hours of sun is by hanging. So I doubt the mini method would work for me :/

Also, are Sarracenia Purpurea good in catching prey? I put my plant literally on an ant's nest and despite being swarmed, it only caught one or two ants.

They're quite capable of catching their own prey, but it's not really needed in most CP's. I wouldn't let it get swarmed with ants, the ants might start eating your plant. As far as I know nepenthes are pretty good at catching ants.

Ants tend to go only for plants either producing a lot of nectar, or specific species like S. minor. The purpurea complex is perfectly capable of catching its own food, but other organisms.

Ants tend to go only for plants either producing a lot of nectar, or specific species like S. minor. The purpurea complex is perfectly capable of catching its own food, but other organisms.
That makes sense now! I used to have a Sarracenia Flava and the amount of ants trapped was so much until it almost overflowed.

I guess I will have to get some live crickets then for my purpurea [emoji4]

Last edited:
My S. purpurea and S. rosea have never caught nearly as many bugs as the upright species. They still grow well though.

My S. purpurea and S. rosea have never caught nearly as many bugs as the upright species. They still grow well though.
Thanks!

Anyway, so I guess the only way for it to go dormant is in the fridge. Most growers simply snip off every single pitcher to prevent mold but I know that Sarracenia Purpurea's pitchers can last for more than one season. How should I do it?

First off, you don't need to buy any insects to feed your plants; even if they catch nothing, they will still grow without any additive nutrients (they just do better with some insects, or a weak fertilizer shot). Secondly, at this point in the year, don't force it into dormancy (unless you're in the southern hemisphere and then you still should have several months), just let it grow. And when it is time for the next dormant period, leave the green growth and just stick it in a bag in the fridge (best to try and ease it into dormancy somehow, either with cooler water added perhaps or other, and some people like to bare-root Sarrs in tropical regions to store them).

First off, you don't need to buy any insects to feed your plants; even if they catch nothing, they will still grow without any additive nutrients (they just do better with some insects, or a weak fertilizer shot). Secondly, at this point in the year, don't force it into dormancy (unless you're in the southern hemisphere and then you still should have several months), just let it grow. And when it is time for the next dormant period, leave the green growth and just stick it in a bag in the fridge (best to try and ease it into dormancy somehow, either with cooler water added perhaps or other, and some people like to bare-root Sarrs in tropical regions to store them).

I am in the Northern Hemisphere, but I guess that won’t really matter since it is summer all year round. I guess I'll heed your advice for next time! Any idea on how many hours of sun this species need? I do know that it requires lesser amount than the upright species.

Last edited:
Mine is pretty happy in full sun, next to my vft's.

Sarracenia need a minimum of 6 hours full sun to do really well (or something equivalent), but the more they get the better.

Back