What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is my N. hamata doing?

Hello all!

I received this N. hamata (BE-3495) on 01/14/14. It has been growing very well for me and has been producing successively larger pitchers until now. The most recent leaf is... weird. It's more of a nub. I did notice that my ultrasonic fogging machine had been directed straight at the hamata and was soaking the growth tip for a while before I noticed it. I increased the humidity in my setup recently to help with acclimating some new plants. The only other change in growing conditions that I can think of is slightly warmer temperatures at night (57*F-60*F or so as opposed to the low 50's that I was able to achieve during the cold winter months).

Any ideas what my hamata is up to?

Thank you all.

20140521_1240011-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140521_1240011.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140521_123811.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20140521_123801.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Could be from the increased nighttime temps. Some species really need those temp drops to produce leaves properly. The humidity shouldn't have been much of an issue unless it was soaking the plant in liquid for hours every day. It could also just be a natural failed leaf on the part of the plant (happens on occasion with most plants). Really nice hamata by the way.

Well, it doesn't look too happy that's for sure. The decreasing leaf size your seeing is a bad sign, the plant is most likely stressed from being kept far too warm for it's liking. N.hamata does best with day temps no higher than the low 80's with nights dropping into the 50's to low 60's.

Three years ago when I started collecting Nepenthes, I had N. talangensis in a tank, and after 6 months in that tank, it started to look just like your hamata. It turns out that extended periods of night temps between 60F and 63F was making it sick. I found a way to drop the night temps to 57F or a bit lower, and the problem resolved itself. I believe your plant is suffering from temperature stress.

PS: you haven't stated what the daytime high temps are.....

Last edited:
Hm... The temperature range that you described is exactly what is has been receiving. During the winter I was able to drop the nighttime temps into the upper 40's low 50's regularly. It seems to have liked that much more, at least in my care. I guess I will move them to the basement where it is cooler...

I don't know if this could also be a factor but I moved in to a slightly different location in my terrarium.

Oops. Daytime temps have been 75*F to 83*F.

could it be getting more light? it looks a bit like sunburn to me.... OTOH I dunno if it would start at the mid rib. ....

Sounds like this weekend I will be overhauling my system. Time to drop the temps! :) Thank you guys.

could it be getting more light? it looks a bit like sunburn to me.... OTOH I dunno if it would start at the mid rib. ....

If anything it may be getting slightly less light because when I reorganized my terrarium I placed my largest N. burbidgeae so that it is shading the hamata a bit. The leaves on my hamata have been flushed red since shortly after receiving it. I always thought that it would resolve on its own as the plant adapted to my conditions, but it hasn't. I figured it wouldn't hurt to block a bit of light from it...

Ugh, my poor hamata. It was doing so well. All of the pitchers it has were formed in my care...

I have a few more neps growing well for me in the same conditions including N. glabrata and N. talangensis. I wonder if they will start to suffer as well...

I'm sure they will if proper conditions are not met soon. N.hamata can be kind of a "canary in a coal mine". They react much faster to adverse conditions than many other species.

Last edited:
Interesting. While I don't doubt the conclusions drawn & recommendations suggested by previous posters, since there is something not good going on, my experiences with N. hamata have been dramatically different. After receiving two little plants (sans roots), one stayed in my office tank & the other went into the basement. The one in the office saw temps in the 80's and often did not get below 70*F at night during the summer. Both plants grew at the same rate - which is the only reason I moved the upstairs plant to the basement - it outgrew it's home. N. glabrata has been a much pickier species than hamata for me ...

Interesting. While I don't doubt the conclusions drawn & recommendations suggested by previous posters, since there is something not good going on, my experiences with N. hamata have been dramatically different. After receiving two little plants (sans roots), one stayed in my office tank & the other went into the basement. The one in the office saw temps in the 80's and often did not get below 70*F at night during the summer. Both plants grew at the same rate - which is the only reason I moved the upstairs plant to the basement - it outgrew it's home. N. glabrata has been a much pickier species than hamata for me ...
Interesting, I have had absolutely no issue with growing glabrata or getting it to pitcher but I do have some trouble with hamata, my temps are much cooler than yours.

i dont think your temps sound that extreme to cause the leaf deformity. i had some similar looking deformity on a N singalana last year and couldn't figure it out until i found a bug on one of the leaves. TF forum members helped me ID the bug as a thrip. i would look for something other than temps as a culprit.

Oh no! I hope there are no bugs..

Do you think that the growth point being wet for too long could have caused this?

No, the growthpoint being wet would cause rot, I think a pest, high temps, or lower humidity might be the cause. If it is a pest then I would guess thrips or mites.

No, the growthpoint being wet would cause rot, I think a pest, high temps, or lower humidity might be the cause. If it is a pest then I would guess thrips or mites.

that was something i was wondering about. the times I see plants starting to discolor at the mid ribs would have been root rot...... that was my alternate hypothesis....

i dont think your temps sound that extreme to cause the leaf deformity. i had some similar looking deformity on a N singalana last year and couldn't figure it out until i found a bug on one of the leaves. TF forum members helped me ID the bug as a thrip. i would look for something other than temps as a culprit.

How did you eradicate the thrips?

I will inspect it closely tonight when I get home from work.

Back