What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What exactly are these types of moss?

I have I think about 3 different types of moss growing in some of my pots. If you know any of them could you tell me what they are called?
I hope you can kind of tell what they look like here.

Here are the spore pods I think (only the pear shaped ones the others I beliece are some utricularia flowers)

And these ones I dont know if they are the same or different for they are growing tall and seem to have a bushy tip of sorts.

Thank you for the help, I just want to know really for the sake of knowing.

Those are the "Mossus pestis" species. :lol:

They are just pest mosses which show up in pots of peat kept wet enough to grow CPs, I've never had it pop up in Begonias, Philodendrons, etc. but they are kept far drier.

The pest mosses will appear in pots kept inside or outside. Some people say microwaving your peat will kill the moss spores so they don't sprout but I've never done that so I couldn't say.

Bottom line is they aren't sphagnum and therefore could potentially be bad for your CPs.

I get that stuff in my Nepenthes and Drosera pots all the time. It doesn't really seem to do anything to my plants, so I just let it sit there.

Last edited:
As others have said, they're just weed mosses that pop up in sphagnum and peat from time to time.
Most plants don't seem to mind it, but I try to eradicate it from all my utric pots since it overgrows them. If you have small seedlings or pygmy Drosera in the tray it might be wise to pull out the moss.

Back