What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do I do?

What do I deo with the venus fly trap becase I already fed it beetles and it's in the miracle gross spagum,moss mix with fertilizer what do I do? Please help!!!! Where do I get the spagum and peat moss plus where do I get the terarium?

Your purchasing questions depend on where you live. If you live in the US you can get a small terrarium and the shagum peat moss from this site, look at the accessories section.

If you are in the UK, homebase sells peat moss (only place I could find it) and a lot of people use aquariums and terrariums bought off the internet. You could probably get them from DIY shops, garden centres etc. as well.

Leave the traps with the beetles in and it will take a couple of weeks for the traps to re-open as beetles are hard for them to digest. Then when they re-open don't feed the traps again for a while (a plant doesn't need to be fed at all, but in the future one or two medium sized flies per PLANT per month is fine).

As for the fertlizer soil mix, you can rinse the current soil through with distilled water (pour water from the top (not onto the traps though, just the soil), and leave the plant and soil (still in its pot) to completely soak in distilled water for a few hours and then let the water drain away). You could repeat the process if a lot of fertiliser was added.

If you think the soil the VFT is in is completely wrong, repot it into a new soil mix. Peat moss: perlite : sand ratio of 2:1:1 or something similar. And still do the rinsing mentioned above to rid the roots of any fertiliser. A 3-5" pot should be a good size to repot into (depending on the size of the VFT).

If you are going to repot do it as soon as possible, so that the VFT still has some of the summer left to grow and get back from being repotted.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

I rinsed the plant throughly and I rinsed the dirt about 4 times and added sand and then I put it in a plastic bottle terarium that I made and I set it in the sun does this sound right? Should I take it out when the sides of the plastic 2 liter bottle start sweating inside? How do I know if my vft is hungry? Also can I feed my vft rolly pollys (pill bugs), ants, and flys?

Be careful putting the bottle terrarium in the sun, temperatures can rise to lethal levels very quickly in a small enclosure. Your main worry should be the fertilizer salts in the moss, these are very bad for Dionaea, and I would continue to flush the pot on a daily basis using no less than a pint of water each time.

Back