What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can live in this habitat?

Hey guys,

A friend has given me a tank, 36"x12"X24", which would have been pretty good to use for my turtle...except for the fact that it looks like a few deep scratches on it might just turn into stress fractures if filled with water.
confused.gif
Not a good thing.

I was thinking I could always use it for plants, but then again I could always grow some plants in a habitat for something else.

So my question is, what can I actually keep in a tank this size without worry?

dart frogs and Mantellas
smile_n_32.gif
you could easily keep a group of 5 or 6 leucs in there.

crested geckos, leopard geckos, African fat tailed geckos though with the latter two you can only have 1 male to a cage.

depends on what your interests are

i was thinking reptiles or frogs, but i want to keep my options open for a little and just explore what I possibly could keep in there. ;)

would be nice to grow some cp's in there with something living and such.

don't want to go too expensive with the needed supplies, but i already have a fogger, tank and lighting for just about anything that's needed.

something semi-social would be nice of course, or just something fun to watch.

well about the best critter i can think of is Dendrobates leucomelas, the "bumble bee" poison dart frog. they are about the boldest dart that does well in groups and they can be had for a decent price($20-$30 a frog) i dont have any yet but i might this spring depending on a couple things. the bigger Tincs and Azureus arent very social and the female do fight over males, sometimes ending in one frog drowning the other. Darts like planted tanks. not sure what i would put in for CPs but Utrics Genlisea and Pings will work. some ppl have used neps but i dont like the risk associated with loosing a $20 plus critter to a plant. one really good point about darts is that they are diurnal wher critters like leos and crested geckos are nocturnal.

Thanks for all the info rattler. Is the care for most of the available species basically the same?

Guess i'll go look at some pics and prices.
smile_n_32.gif

yep, care is the same, temps in the mid to high 70's, high humidity(over 80%) and a planted tank and your pretty well there.

Back