What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Went looking for local carnivorous plants

As some of you may remember I made a thread a few days ago about finding and possibly harvesting a couple carnivorous plants out of the wild. I quickly found out it was an ok to look but not to touch scenario :) (do not take plants out of the wild)

Anyways, these are some pictures from the "expedition." Note: we didn't find any CP's.

But we did find an awesome meadow:

1-1.jpg

It had all of the characteristics of what I thought we should be looking for, but all we found was a stream running though it full of fish and frogs. The one really cool part was when we saw a United States Forest Service plane circling the meadow that eventually dropped off a group of Smoke Jumpers in the next clearing.

2-1.jpg

3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

After being discouraged at not finding any of the plants we were looking for we kept moving and found an awesome lake:

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Beautiful lake I'm gonna have to head to again. My roommate already wants to go camping there after seeing the pictures.

Maybe next time we'll find some plants ;)

Last edited:
What a beautifull place you found there :D

Nice pics :) where are you from SeaQuest?

Very nice.
It looks like you are in an area that may have bogs.
Have you done a search for local bogs?

Wow, just wow!

Beautiful place nonetheless!

Beautiful lake ! Where is that may I ask?

SirKristoff: I'm from Idaho! I have a friend in Puyallup, I hear it's pretty nice :)

Zero: I did a brief search for bogs and while I found a few places that were mentioned, their locations were kind of vague. The most specific descriptions I found mentioned the bogs being at the bases of certain mountains (still not too specific). I definitely need to do more research. It will be a great experience to see what I can find!

awesome :)
Puyallup is a nice little city. I definitely like it more than living in the big cities...
i grew up in Jacksonville, FL. and that was just hell LOL. Wonder if i have ever seen or spoke to your friend haha

You might consider going to places at different times of year.
Sometimes plants are visible and sometimes they die back,
depending on rain/moisture, heat, etc.
Also remember, many plants are VERY small, and can easily be missed. ???
Usually, once you see one, you suddenly see many as your eyes can then identify
what they are looking for.

I remember way way back, looking for dews at a local preserve (that I was told they were at).
Indeed, my brother and I were literally standing in the middle of them before we saw them!
And once we knew what we were looking for, we saw them all over!
But before that, they were literally "invisible"! :-O

Good luck and don't give up. :banana2:
And indeed, in general, the plants will do better where they are growing naturally,
and you are better off just buying whatever you are wanting to get.
If you have the right conditions, it will only take one plant to eventually grow tens and hundreds!
That with a little bit of patience and persistence! :hail:

To find them in the wild, it may take a bit of research and a lot of exploration,
but then that is the fun of it. Nothing worse than some preserve where they plant CP's
along the trail so the common folk can see them. VERY un-natural in my opinion,
but then it does keep people on the trails, and does let even them "find" them!

Again,
Good Luck!

:water:
Paul

Back