What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

weired new growth

upper

Capensis Killer
i have an inexperiance with sarracenia, i love sarracenia, but something's going on. here's the question

i drew that picture to illustrate what i have right now
the black chunk under the plant is what i would consider the rhizome.
on the original plant, there's a new trap. this one's different from other one, the little leaf in front is HUGE, and the tube is tiny... the earlier one that i drew came out like a stick, and expanded like a balloon, popped, and looked like the one in the picture after a while. this one's just... different.
then there's the new growth about 1 1/2" away from the original plant... this other one is TINY. it opened like the new one, except without the huge leaf in front. but the opening doesnt look like those tube kind of sarracenia, it kinda looks like darlingtoniaish/purpureaish plant. might be what new growth looks like, but i dont know, i've never got a sarracenia to germinate before. any suggestion? any idea what these are? retarded growth?

could be phyllodia?

Sounds like phyllodes to me. They are pitcherless leaves used for photosynthesis.

xvart.

Hi upper, how long ago did those other "leaves" form? Is it pretty recent? Sounds like perhaps it's just phyllodia (winter leaves) and is completely normal. Some of my S. flavas and S.oreo's have this forming already, belive it or not. What kind of sarr do you have?

Is it similar to the phyllodia in the photos here?
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5534.html

it has a very small tube(pitcher) the most of it is leaf. the pitcher hole on top is about 1/8 of an inch.

and i would know if its a phyllodia, because i have like 4 phyllodia on the same plant(they're slowly dying back though, the tip's browning)

it formed like 2 weeks ago.

Those look like the "intermediate" phyllodia leaves. Sarracenia often grow these either before growing full blown phyllodia or when coming out of dormancy.

Is this your S. oreophila? They start going dormant early - mid-June onwards.

Phyllodia are normal in some plants, but it can also be a sign of lack of light. How much light are they getting?

S. oreophila doesn't go dormant early, it just grows phyllodia from July to October and then goes dormant for the winter :)

Yes that's my Oreophila. they're outside in full sun(the picture i took is the nighttime picture so it might not look like it.)
my VFT are starting to redden up as you can see. not too long till its bright red.

and intermediate leaf=half pitcher half phyllodia?

Yep, or anywhere in-between.

it just grows phyllodia from July to October and then goes dormant for the winter :)

Mine is doing this already too. Unfortunate really, I wanted to see more pitchers.

Lame, it doesnt look like a phyllodia though, and anyone know what the smaller one is?

Difficult to tell unless I download the image and enlarge it but I'd guess they're pitchers that have reverted to the juvenile form. Younger plants often grow juvenile leaves as well as the adult forms. Juvenile leaves on almost all Sarracenia have a S. minor look to them.

Back