What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Greetings. I have an indoor terrarium with grow lights. It's a ten gallon terrarium with grow lights on the top. I leave the grow lights slightly off center so I have an 1.5'' gap at the top for air circulation.

I have a thermometer inside the terrarium and it says it's about 90f inside. So far, my Heliamphora minor and Cephalotus are doing fine, but my Drosera capensis 'red' isn't growing as well as it should (neither is my Drosera filiformis 'red' or Pinguicula caerulea).

I have a theory it may too warm inside. What are some methods to cool my terrarium? I tried applying wax paper against the glass sheet at the top of the terrarium to block some light and cool it down. It lowered the temperature about 5 degrees, but my Droseras didn't grow as well (they lost some dew and such because they need lots of light)

What if I remove the glass sheet at the top completely? I have a theory that the glass sheet is creating something of a greenhouse effect by keeping the infrared energy inside (much like a car with windows rolled up outside in the sun). I'm thinking about removing the glass sheet but I'm worried I would then have exposed CFL lights above the plants (and this could burn them).

Thoughts?

Both my terrariums are open topped. I've noticed it definitely helps with air flow, especially since I have an over head fan going almost constantly.

Turn the tank on it's side and use the glass as a "sliding door" adjusting the gap as needed. Or lose the glass top and raise the lights slightly to improve air flow under them.

Adding a small fan blowing directly on the lights should drop the temperature in the terrarium by about 10 degrees. I have a 4" case fan blowing on mine 24/7 and works wonders. Room temp is about 68-73 and my terrarium with glass top and small 2" gap for air flow rarely gets above 75. Lights are about 1" from glass top.

Before I added the fan I was seeing temperatures of 85+ degrees.

Adding a small fan blowing directly on the lights should drop the temperature in the terrarium by about 10 degrees. I have a 4" case fan blowing on mine 24/7 and works wonders. Room temp is about 68-73 and my terrarium with glass top and small 2" gap for air flow rarely gets above 75. Lights are about 1" from glass top.

Before I added the fan I was seeing temperatures of 85+ degrees.

What powers the small fan and where can I get such a small fan?

Many people use computer case fans and a 12 volt DC power supply. There are several threads either in this section or the general discussion section. Just make sure the power supply has enough amperage to drive the fan(s).

You can pay too much at Radio Shack for everything you need or try a local discount electronics surplus store or these guys:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/220/Fans/1.html

Why not just grow the Drosera and the Pinguicula on a grow shelf under lights? They don't need to be in a tank.

Many people use computer case fans and a 12 volt DC power supply. There are several threads either in this section or the general discussion section. Just make sure the power supply has enough amperage to drive the fan(s).

You can pay too much at Radio Shack for everything you need or try a local discount electronics surplus store or these guys:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/category/220/Fans/1.html

Why not just grow the Drosera and the Pinguicula on a grow shelf under lights? They don't need to be in a tank.

I prefer to have all my plants in one growing area.

I leave the grow lights slightly off center so I have an 1.5'' gap at the top for air circulation.

Not a single word about any reflectors used?

I'd suggest to use optimized reflectors with the lights and increase the gap.

Not a single word about any reflectors used?

I'd suggest to use optimized reflectors with the lights and increase the gap.

All four walls of the terrarium are covered with aluminum foil

He's talking about high efficiency reflectors for the fluorescent tubes. Without reflectors maybe 66% or more of the light from the tubes is not going where you want it.

All four walls of the terrarium are covered with aluminum foil

So, no real reflectors present.

I'm referring to parabolic or double-parabolic clip-on reflectors for T5 and T8 fluorescent lamps.

There are different brands available, here in Europe they are available as an add-on for aquarium and terrarium lighting. If you want to take a look:
http://www.dennerle.eu/global/index...category&layout=blog&id=57&Itemid=102&lang=en

Those things can double the light intensity that is sent from the lamp to the ground, as all of the light is used, especially the light that is sent upwards by the lamp.

What powers the small fan and where can I get such a small fan?

You can get the CPU fans from any computer store. They are anywhere from $3 to $25+. Often you can just get a used cheapy though.

Then you need to find one of these:
http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00oeDtHhFcZLqb/AC-DC-Power-Adapter-L156-.jpg

It's an AC/DC converter which has a variable output so you can control the fan speed by changing the voltage. Just make sure the amps on the converter are higher than the fan draws otherwise you will have a problem. Cut the ends off of the fan and converter and twist them together. Check the fan works by plugging it in. If it's not working or spinning the wrong direction just reverse the wires. Then solder them up or twist them tight and insulate.

Some fans have 2wires and some have 3. All you need is the 2 wire variety but the three wire will work too just ignore the yellow one and insulate it with electrical tape.

Okay, I removed the glass at the top of the terrarium to see what would happen.

The temperature went up from 90F to more than 100F. This is not an option.

I have a theory and if it doesn't work, I need to upgrade to a larger tank. Is the aluminium foil surrounding the tank keeping the temperature inside? I wrapped aluminium foil around the outside of the tank to keep in the light and I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this is creating an artificial greenhouse effect by trapping light (and therefor infrared energy) trapped inside the tank.

If this is the case, I'm left with three options:
1) Replace the aluminum foil with something dark like black paper or something (it wouldn't reflect light like aluminum foil but the light is already powerful so I'm sure my plants would manage.

2) Remove any kind of sheeting from the outside of the tank, leaving my tank clear and exposed, but I'm worried about the brightness from the light and don't to have something like a floodlight in my room.

3) I upgrade to a larger tank. I currently have a 125watt light for a 10-gallon tank. I'm thinking with the same light in a larger tank, I could get more air circulation and it would take longer for the tank to heat up.

Thoughts?

I have a thermometer inside the terrarium and it says it's about 90f inside. So far, my Heliamphora minor and Cephalotus are doing fine, ..... Thoughts?

- what are your room temps (outside the tank)? What are night temps?
- while you say your H. minor is fine, at 90*F, you're pushing the envelope (& many would say that you're far outside) for acceptable temps...

...perhaps this is creating an artificial greenhouse effect by trapping light (and therefor infrared energy) trapped inside the tank...Replace the aluminum foil with something dark like black paper or something (it wouldn't reflect light like aluminum foil but the light is already powerful so I'm sure my plants would manage.

I may be not 100% on this, but this sounds like you're replacing one form of thermal insulation(for lack of a better word) for another.

The black lining you propose would absorb the light, yes, but it would be converted into thermal radiation, and re-emitted back into the terrarium. You might actually have a better chance sticking with the aluminum foil.

....maybe.

Someone who actually has a college degree should probably chime in on this, though.

-CJ

- what are your room temps (outside the tank)? What are night temps?
- while you say your H. minor is fine, at 90*F, you're pushing the envelope (& many would say that you're far outside) for acceptable temps...

1) Room temps are 78F outside the tank. Maybe low 70s/high 60s at night.

2) I agree. I'm really worried about Cephalotus and Heliamphora. Honestly, they appear to have stopped growing (or at least reverting back to immature pitchers from the newest leaves starting to appear)

Have you tried blowing a fan directly across the lights like I mentioned earlier?

Have you tried blowing a fan directly across the lights like I mentioned earlier?

I have not. I'm not good with electronics.

However, I'm trying one approach. I removed the aluminum foil from the sides so now I have a clear terrarium with a light on top. I just checked the temperature and it's a steady 80F now.

This isn't my terrarium, but this is the same idea:
terrarium.jpg

That's good you have dropped the temperature. Even a fan like this would work fine.

That's good you have dropped the temperature. Even a fan like this would work fine.

That fan is way too big for my terrarium. My terrarium is a 10 gallon tank.

Back