What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

watering

how wet do you keep the soils of your neps? i mist my neps that are on my windowsill everyday, and the ones in the terrium (pilosa and maxima ?) i water like once a week because i guess its so humdid in there, do they need more water?

Yes. They do need water but the ones in the terrarium only need to be watered 1 a day. The ones on the windowsill only need to misted. As long as the soil is moist.

What Alex??? Water Nepenthes in a terrarium 1 time a day!!! I water mine 1once every two weeks! If you watered int the teararium every day I am sure the roots would rot right off the plant!

I agree with NG. Watering once a day will most likely cause root rot.
Nepenthes lover,
What do you mean by "They do need water but the ones in the terrarium only need to be watered 1 a day. The ones on the windowsill only need to misted."?
Shouldn't the plants on the windowsill require more water than the ones in the terrarium? If you only mist the plants on the windowsill the soil will dry off. You are right about keeping the soil moist not wet.

I keep my terrarium Neps watered by using the misting system set 1 min. x 4 hrs.
Over the last year they have done real well. Looking forward to increasing the light timer so we can start getting the growth I had this summer.

holy cow Once a day! I have not physically added water to my tank in MONTHS! I have an ultrasonic humidifier that runs for about 30 minutes, once a day. (Shortest time period I can get my timer to do) The only water I add is to that basin, once every three or so weeks, and that is about 1/4 gallon of water...

Terrariums are enclosed systems, one you have added water, you rarely need to mess with it, the misting system I use takes care of all my plants water needs...

Back