What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Hardness of 150

Anyone have any experience of how a water hardness of 150 ppm would do on sarracenias/vfts/some drosera? I had my well water tested and this is what it turned out to be, so I am wondering whether anyone thinks that it would be safe to use on my plants.

You're just a little bit high. It's no big deal. Under 50-75 ppm is fine for everything, under 100 is fine for Nepenthes. I suggest using pure RO/distilled/rain (although rain isn't the best because of pollution) but if you can't (or wont' :p ) do that then at least cut it with 50% pure water and you're good enough.

Get an RO filter. It's totally worth it.

I wouldn't use the well water very often, but it'll be OK for occasional use. By the way, why do people keep saying not to use rainwater, because of pollution? It supports thriving communities of CPs all around the world.

I wasn't aware that a lot of people say that, but yes, pollution. If you have the choice of using pure water, water with the chance of pollution, which would you choose? In some places the rain actually stinks.

Additionally, in the grand scheme of things, if the water is polluted, the "pollution" would keep in the trays unlike in the wild where it gets quickly washed somewhere else.

xvart.

150 PPM? Too high. I have 15 PPM Tap Water. You should check your tap water and/or get a distiller or a reverse osmosis unit.

Back