What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've had good success with sarrs, pings, and sundews but i cannot figure out flytraps.  I have The Savage Garden and i read posts in this forum for good advice but i still have problems.  My flytraps grow very slowly and seem to get weaker and weaker with each new trap.  They are in small cold frame greenhouse now, but were originally on a stand out in the open.  (I thought the higher humidity of the greenhouse would help them)  The color and shape of the traps are fine so they get plenty of sun.  The soil mix i use is a mix of peat, sand, and perlite.  I have the pots in deep water trays that i fill clear up and then wait for the water to evaporate before filling them again.  I think this is the right way to water them.  However, when i repotted a flytrap a few days ago it only had an inch or so of roots.  Did the roots rot and that is what is causing the demise of my vfts??  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks

-buckeye

Sounds like you are overwatering them, While VFTs like pretty wet, they dont want to be swimming. I fill my water trays to 1/2 inch of water, then I let most of that evaporate before I fill them again. Unless you have constant temps in the upper 90's and 100's with severe low humidity your best bet is to just put them outside in full sun. I give mine full sun from sunrise till about 3 pm then bright shade till dark. Hope this helps
smile.gif

Good luck,
Steve

ok i'll water them that way from now on. Thanks alot!!

Back