What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Tanning - How to get red traps

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ Dec. 06 2005,7:36)]Honestly, the informal survey here is no way to gather any really useful information folks. No offense meant to anyone, but there are just too many unmentioned variables. And most of us are just informal growers anyhow. All this anecdotal evidence of good or bad growth under lights is just that - anecdotal.
Killjoy!

I grow my traps on the patio. I've had them a little over a month and there starting to enter dormancy...but man, i can't wait for the summer to come, those things will probably redden up real nice. a few of mine are pink on the inside but thats about it.

-peace

??? What is "bubbled sun"?
(--Bugweed @ Dec. 07 2005,9:07)
Sunlight to a VFT is extremely important for its best growth. However, the sun, though responsible for the coloring process, is not the whole picture. We all know that anthocyanin cells in CP is the cause of their coloration. How a VFT colors up, and the "triggers" involved are another story. The old assumption of, "put the plant in the sun to promote the red coloration" is wrong. Yes, the plants may have genetics that respond to full sun, and the plants redden up. However, their are other triggers that have nothing to do with full sun that will turn the plant into a kaliedoscope of color. How the sun shines on some VFT's is the "secret" to their coloration. Some color up only in bright shade. Some will only respond to sun filtered through tall grasses or the dappling effect it would get through the branches of a tree. Many variables will produce bright, rich color, while some, genetically, won't color up to any extent, no matter what you do. So light is the key, but the most important factor, is how the sun shines, or doesn't shine, on a particular plant. The fun part is experimenting with your baby until you get the coloration you are looking for, using the guidelines above. Expect to to get negligable results from some of your babies too! In the CP world, nothing is usually an absolute in the life of a CP/VFT! EXPERIMENT!!! I did.

Wow. How did I miss this post. I remember before I grew a giant variety in bubbled sun by Eucalyptus trees in the back yard. The plant was growing very strong and red. I mean it got red so fast that by sunset I would go outside and newly opened traps from morning already have color in them. After I moved to my new house which had no trees, the same giant variety received full sun but only produced green traps with faint red outlines at most. However, in full sun, my all varieties turned deep chocolate all over. So I think I'll be looking ito bubbled sun, morning sun, sunset sun more. Also I'll have to experiment with sun reflected off white stucco walls.

To add another variable that I didn't see mentioned, I've noticed that my plants get their darkest red in the fall when:
- days are getting shorter
- nights are colder (& days too)
- sun is lower in the southern sky @ mid-day

Growing season is what I wrote about, not fall, Ron. But you are right. It happens here too just before, and during dormancy. Joseph, "bubbled sun" is another way Uglypho had for saying dappled sunlight.

Last edited:
Tan-lines:

Leaves in the center, the lower leaf was on top prior to photo

018.jpg

After repotting the position of the leaves are greatly different, note where the yellow/blackening leaf formerly shaded the other leaf

019.jpg

Hey Not A Number, how did that tiny trap (the one right above the number 13) in the first picture originate?? That's how one of my first palnt's traps looked at a certain point a long time ago.:down:

There's one or two plantlets/divisions on that rhizome (left over from TC no doubt). When I repotted it, it didn't look ready to divide or at least I am too inexperienced to attempt dividing it just yet. Maybe next year if they're still alive.

The pictures are from two different pots both recently repotted prior to the photos and not a before and after sequence as one might be lead to believe from my commentary.

There is no magic formula of "use bulb X". You'll just have to try and see what works for you, with the understanding that more light will probably work better, and sunlight is best. If color is weak, add more light. If still weak, check other factors of health, and add more light!

How long does it usually take for a new green trap to turn to its full red color? Days, weeks, months,...?

Trap color

Hi,

Traps usually open with the color they are going to have. They may darken a little bit, but a green trap will probably stay green.

Full sunlight is the best for trap coloration and overall health. Mine are outside year-round. When they come out of dormancy, sunlight is still fairly weak and the traps have just a little red. As the days get longer and the sunlight gets stronger, the traps will open with deeper red.

You could bring them in for the summer and grow them under intense grow lights. I would then put them outside for winter dormancy.

I was just about to ask that. Thanks. I was wondering because mine have been outside for almost a month and they aren't that red, but the new ones look pretty red (the ones that were REALLY tiny when I put it out).

will a light bulb producing 1.3k lumuns help my VFT or is it useless?

will a light bulb producing 1.3k lumuns help my VFT or is it useless?

1.3k lumens is nothing compared to the sun. I'm not sure what the lumen output on my lights is, but I do have a couple vft growing there that get a moderately decent tint to them. Nothing like being grow outside like some of the members here; but for now it's the best I can do.

xvart.

yeah you pretty much have to put them outside to get deep reds. As xvart said:

your lights: 1,300 lumens
sun: 10,000 lumens/sq. ft.

the sun is the best light to grow these plants. However, when circumstances arise that compel you to grow them inside...just use daylight bulbs....full spectrum. I get the colour on my VFT's from purely indoor light.

vft3.jpg

I grow mine both inside and outside, when the sun sets outside, I then give them artificial light for a few more hours so they get a photoperiod for about 11-13 hours

I have one of my VFTs, a young 'Petite Dragon', growing under blue LEDs. This plant has taken on very strong colouration, with the whole of it being a deep crimson colour. I believe that blue light encourages anthocyanins and these promote colouration within plants.

There's an article about anthocyanins here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/samples/Science273anthocyanin.htm

My typical originally would not produce red traps. But I have started to notice that its new leaves are getting redder everything a new shoot comes off. Any have an answer to this?

I noted that my plants redden up with exposure to sunlight. The more days outside, the redder they get. When i have them inside for any length of time they begin to fade. But i'm in Florida and seem to have that option all the time. When I was in Michigan they didn't get a lot of outdoor sunlight and they were always pretty green. Hope this helps.

Mine is kept in a somewhat shaded West facing window with a daylight CFL in a clamp light suspeneded about 8in above the plant. I've found that the traps add quite a bit of color as they age, especially on the spines.

Here's a quick pic:

DSCN0394.jpg

Back