What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT group, giveaway for bog garden, etc.

(UPDATE: Well, *that* was quick. Within an hour, several people responded to this giveaway. I sent them to the first shipping address I received (I was anxious to get these little guys on their way, since they had already been uprooted), and I think they will be happy in their new home in Ohio. Thanks to all who responded, and I'll have more VFTs to offer, singly and in small or larger groups, in the future. Best wishes, --Steve/xscd)

--- --- original post appears below --- ---
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I have a group of several dozen VFT "typical" that I would like to ship to someone (all to just one person, to save on shipping costs) with preferably at least a little experience growing VFTs or CPs, perhaps to someone who wishes to populate a bog garden or outdoor CP planting area.

These VFTs have been uprooted from a common container, washed, crudely cleaned of excess debris and dead plant material, and soaked in rain water or distilled water with a few drops of Superthrive added.

Normally I would take them from the Superthrive solution one at a time and meticulously clean each bulb with pointed tweezers and surgical or other small scissors in preparation for transplanting.

However, this year I have already transplanted all I can keep, from a practical perspective, and these that I am offering are the leftovers, the extras.

They vary greatly in size from tiny to medium to medium-large and would be considered "seconds" if this term were applied to nursery plants. Some may not survive shipping or transplanting, although I'm sure many will.

They may be genetic clones, since all of them came from the same several plants, themselves probably tissue-cultured clones from an unknown source. However, while I can only call them "typical," some of the bulbs from these VFTs this year, while the same age as most of the VFTs in my collection, are the largest bulbs in my collection, and among the most vigorous plants. The size of several of the bulbs, when I washed them, truly surprised me. (Of course I kept those bulbs for myself, and immediately transplanted them into a small colony in a 10-inch pot.)
smile_o_32.gif

As I mentioned, I would like to ship all these extras to one single individual, to save on shipping costs, which I will pay.

Best wishes everyone,

Steve (xscd)
Portales, New Mexico US

Nevermind I reread it and noticed the update. Sorry.

Hello JB_OrchidGuy-- I'll have lots more to share in the future. My VFTs are extremely prolific at vegetative propagation.

I think this may be because they are very well fed (this is dairy country here in eastern New Mexico with billions of trillions of flies), and they are kept a little on the drier side (like moist savannah soil instead of saturated bog or swamp). This (it seems) encourages good root growth, conservative strong top growth and lots of storage of nutrients at the base of the leaves.

Like a lot of plants, with too much water VFTs tend to grow thin and leggy, without much strength to support even their own weight, and must try to grow to use the excess water in order to keep from rotting. This is an exagerration of course, but I think it has some truth to it. So I am very patient and allow them to grow slowly and store up their energy into fine reserves. Just my thoughts based on my experience and observation so far; may be right, may be wrong.
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks Steve. I will have to keep up on the board. You know the saying ya snooze ya loose. Thanks for being so generous to begin with!

Back