What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VERY ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!

The eBay listing says: "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

The eBay listing says: "The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale."

Sounds to me like the message may have gotten through. This could be good news.

Let's hope the message got through in a good way. Meaning the seller wasn't just harassed into the underground to hook up with some violent Carolina Sarracenia Cartel. We'll know that happened if kids' grades start falling across the continent and they abandon old friends to hang with a new crowd. While getting into petty thievery and prostitution to support the soaring distilled water habits needed to grow illicit carnivorous plants. Eventually they'll find their way to the moral vacuum of Terraforums, where they'll learn about RO, the methadone of the CP addict. Hopefully, before it's too late.

Have you been talking to my mother?

That's pretty dang funny, mang.

On ICPS seed back ( they might have got an excpetion) They sell them acrosss state lines, but its only USA. I am still confused about this too.

What's there to be confused about? ICPS has permits that allow interstate sales of these seeds. Bugweed and myself even said so in this thread earlier. The seedbank will supply you with the proper documentation so you can show you legally obtained the seeds.

See http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=initiatives&action=display&thread=31

or do as the Seedbank Page says:

If you have any comments or questions about the Seed Bank, please feel free to contact John Brittnacher, the Seed Bank manager, at john@carnivorousplants.org.

Hello year old thread!

What's there to be confused about? ICPS has permits that allow interstate sales of these seeds. Bugweed and myself even said so in this thread earlier. The seedbank will supply you with the proper documentation so you can show you legally obtained the seeds.

See http://icps.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=initiatives&action=display&thread=31

or do as the Seedbank Page says:

I am two minds about the issue. If the plants were home-grown and the seed collected, no foul; if there was poaching involved, that is entirely different. Now, in terms of CITES, would the purchase I made in years past of, say, Cephalotus from private parties overseas or in the US put me at odds with the law -- even though the species is now off of CITES listing?

We operate under a Scientific Collecting Permit through Fish and Game and the permitting process itself is one step away from Jonathan Swift and the argument whether your poached eggs should be opened on the wide or narrow end of the shell. It was like dealing with the Soviets . . .

Breaking the law is breaking the law unfortunately, how ever stupid the law is. However, what I'm worried about with CITEs is the way it makes all the plants stay in one location. If the plants are not widespread in cultivation, and some natural disaster wipes out there natural home, what then? The only reason lots of people want to poach them from the wild is because they're not common in cultivation, so although restricting how you can sell seeds is maybe helping, in the long run it's just making them more rarer in cultivation, so people who do get away with poaching are making more money off them, and will want to do it more. Which is REALLY helping the situation.

If a lot of the seeds and plants were in cultivation, then they'd be worth no more than any other sarr, so a lot of the poaching would go down, because who would go to the trouble of poaching 'common' plants?

Just my two cents worth:)

I am sorry, the argument that CITES protection actually makes the plants more endangered just does not fly with me. VFTs are about as common as anything and yet they are still poached... The reason people poach plants is because they want to and they can get away with it more often than not. The status of the plant makes no difference in the long run.

And CITES does not in any way keep plant in one location. Look over the growlist on this site and you will see than many many people have CITES listed material. I have VFTs, S. oreophilia, S. alabamensis and N. rajah and so do countless others. Just because they are CITES and can not be sold across state lines without proper paperwork does not mean they can not be sold at all... Or that they can not be freely given to others.

If a lot of the seeds and plants were in cultivation, then they'd be worth no more than any other sarr, so a lot of the poaching would go down, because who would go to the trouble of poaching 'common' plants?

That is exactly why one of NASC's long-term goals is to grow out location-specific plants to make them cheaply and easily available to the public thereby reducing the "need" to poach to obtain them.

But the more urgent goals are trying to protect habitat, map plant locations, rescue plants from endangered sites and also conservation education.

It's out of the country, so the same rules may not apply.

Actually he is not. CITES stands for Convention on the International Trade of Endangered Species. So CITES rules still apply. This is why you need PPQ621 to import any Nepenthes even though they are just CITES I

The seller misspelled the species name as well as using improper capitalization. That would suggest to me the seller doesn't know what they are doing.

The ICPS seedbank usually has Sarracenia oreophila seeds available to members. They have the permits which allows them to sell and ship them within the United States and will provide you with the paperwork to show that the seeds were obtained legally. They are working getting the CITES permits to allow them to ship internationally.

I wasn't talking about importing anything, simply suggesting that the restriction/regulation of sales of that species within Australia may not be the same as America.

That was also how I interpreted CH's comment. Some of our UK friends have mentioned they can move S. oreophila freely thru Europe with no restrictions.

Cheers,

Joe

That may be so but the auctions states "Ships worldwide". Hopefully the seller has the proper paperwork to do so.

Back