What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus-flytrap

• Thread starter eplants02
  • Start date
(SnowyFalcon @ July 24 2003,11:54)A good book to read, is the Bible *SF
<span id='postcolor'>

Which version of the Bible would you recommend?

Catholic?
King James?
Common?
New American Translation?
Book of Mormon?
Torah?
Koran?

upset.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I favor the King James Version. *I must point out that the Book of Mormon, and the Koran do not even claim to be the Bible, just additional information passed down from God (yeah right&#33
wink.gif
. *I don't know enough about the other ones to say what they stand for.

I don't have the time to get drawn back into a debate though, so this is really my last post!! LOL!!!
<span id='postcolor'>
wink.gif
wink.gif
*Oh well, that lasted all of an hour, before someone asked another question!! LOL!!!

SF

(SnowyFalcon @ July 25 2003,10:10)just additional information passed down from God (yeah right&#33
wink.gif
. *
SF
<span id='postcolor'>
Where is (your) bible does God say "this is ALL I am ever going to say to humanity..this Bible alone shall be my ONLY words ever spoken to humanity, if anyone ever claims I ever said anything to them that is NOT specifically in this bible, they are lying"

where in the bible does God say that?
confused.gif
wink.gif

Scot

Rv:22:18: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Wow! I really didnt think it was in there!
wow.gif
rolleyes.gif

im impressed you could come with the exact verse so quickly!
biggrin.gif

you REALLY know your Bible! well done..

ok ,then why isnt God keeping his word?
Why hasnt God unleashed the plagues on the Mormons and Muslims? (I bet I can guess the answer.."He hasnt yet, but he will")

I don't pretend to know the mind of God. Will they get what is due them in the end? Yes. But some of the problems they have now (look at all the infighting) may be a part of this punishment. I'm human and fallible, I don't know.

Another verse to back that up. Rom:11:3: For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

(SnowyFalcon @ July 25 2003,3:14)A better translation says 'God breathed'. *
<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Scottychaos,

I would have to say that "breathed" is as imaginative, fantastical, poetic, non-literal and open to vast interpretation as "inspiration of God". In fact, I would have to say that taking either of these 2 phrases to mean that God literally spoke to people and specifically, in long, detailed, articulated passages dictated what they were to write is probably about as far away from "God's" meaning as one could get. It seems "God" is a wonderful poetic muse.

Bobby

Hi,

Opps, I confused your names
sad.gif
sad.gif
. Sorry.

Bobby

It seems *"God" is a wonderful poetic muse
<span id='postcolor'>

Are you discounting all the other wonderful attributes of God in the Old Testament? *I don't know any muse that is omnipotent, omniscient, personal and holy. *

Basically, since He claims to be God, you're calling Him a liar!

Respectfully,

SF

Hi SnowyFalcon,

No, I am not calling anyone a liar. If I could talk to "God" directly I would accept your POV, but, unfortunately, all we know of "God" is through human middle men and I always deeply distrust any information on a subject that comes to me by way of a third party. Human beings are hardly the most reliable reporters and for something as profound as "God", I just need a better source than ancient men writing in "God's" name. I need God directly.

Bobby

I understand your skepticism. But you have to realize that most of the New Testament was written by men who had a first hand experience with the Son of God, Jesus Christ. If I may ask, how are you going to "talk to God directly"? The only way I know of doing this is prayer and Christ interceding for us.

Snowy falcon,
  "Who are you to interpret God's account of Genesis into a poem of Sabbath?  Where does it say this in the Bible? "

It does pay to do some kind of theological training course..
Basically the Bible and I am sure you know is written in very different styles; letters, prophesy, history, poetry etc. A lot does contain picture language like used expressively in John's book of revelation and also the Genesis account. The first chapter rhymes in its original language..

Like I mentioned earlier, reading the bible on its own without consultation with commentaries or considering the context the Bible was written can lead to all kinds of opinions...

Have a look at this website: http://www.workshop.org.uk/

Also read that Christian book by Alan Hayward "Creation & Evolution, the facts and the fallacies"

There are different styles, because they are written by different writers.  Genesis is mostly a history of the early Jews, (Abraham, Isaac).  Where does it say that, " You can separate the first 2 chapters of Genesis from the rest of the book and interpret it differently than the next 48."  I do not read Hebrew, so I would have no idea if the original language rhymed.  Could it be that God was trying to get a pattern across and was drilling it into our brains?

"He made (insert object) and that was the (insert number) day and He saw that it was good."

Does it still have a literal interpretation to me? Yes.  Even if there are other things you can glean from the text of the Bible, doesn't mean that Genesis 1-2 is a poem.  Could it have other things such as a command to observe the Sabbath in it as well? Yes.  But the main thrust of this passage is God's creative act.

You mentioned prophesy.  Hasn't all prophesy come true?  So wouldn't it make since to say that everything in the Bible whether past or future is true?

Now, I'm not a Bible scholar, but it seems to me that Genesis is a fact.

SF

(SnowyFalcon @ July 25 2003,12:4
alien.gif
*Now, I'm not a Bible scholar, but it seems to me that Genesis is a fact.

SF
<span id='postcolor'>
Excellent!! *
biggrin.gif

when you say "it seems to me that Genesis is a fact,
I have NO PROBLEM with that at all!!
you can think Genesis is a fact all you want, and no one should ever have with a problem with that at all..

thats SO much better than saying "genesis IS a fact"!
which invites all kinds of arguement..
see the difference? *
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

In my opinion, Genesis is a story, a fable, a myth.
It seems to me that the fossil record of the Earth totally, 100% disproves Genesis.

and life goes on..
rolleyes.gif

Scot

I was inferring (sp?) that others (obviously) have different opinions.  I would rephrase my beliefs to....According to the Bible the truth =Genesis is a fact.  Go look at the giants of the Christian faith, Martin Luther, John Calvin, etc.  They are (or were) of one accord.  The Bible is God's word, and everything in it is true.  If God said, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Then that is what happened.  They did not need or want to interpret it so that it fit with the world's theories (ie evolution).  They took what God said at face value and believed it.  I will follow in their footsteps, of belief in God, in the truth of His word, and in the saving power of Christ's blood.

SF

The Bile is a good book, everyone can learn something from it.
I just don't understand many things in it, especially the Old Testament. I really do think that God has better things to do than mess with people that do not live their lives according to what is written in a black book with really thin pages.

Sometimes I really worry about people that spend their lives reading the Bible and preaching Christian ethics, (Pat Robertson, Jerry Folwell) for example. They can make it hard for many people to lead comfortable lives free of strife and violence.

I will follow in the root steps of the great VFT and just enjoy the sun, water, and food. In the end I think it's best to enjoy our time in this life and deal with what comes after when that time comes.

(SnowyFalcon @ July 25 2003,1:4
alien.gif
Scot,

* * *Are you a Bible scholar?

SF
<span id='postcolor'>
not remotely.
at best, I have skimmed a few lines.
opened the book maybe 3 times in my life, spent 1 or 2 minutes reading each time.
never owned a copy, never will.
does that answer your question?! *
wink.gif

why do you ask?

(my girlfriend however knows the bible very well)
She has bought me a few great book about Jesus and his life, from a historical standpoint. (I do believe he existed, I do believe he was A Son of God)
I however belong to no organized religion, and likely never will.
to me, all religions are corrupt (not like "corrupt politicians" ..I mean more like distorted, trying to know the truth but failing..)
I dont God thinks any one religion is "the truth"..
His true nature is probably far from what any religion believes.
I do not believe He wrote the Bible.
To me, the bible was written by humans, in an attempt to understand God..
I think the Buddhists have the best idea so far, as far as religions go...but I will never be a buddhist either..

I will look up the names of the books when I get home tonight..they are really interesting!
Scot

Snowy Falcon,
The Hebrew word for Day in Genesis could mean a period of time or age as in 'in our day etc'. There should be no conflict with the Bible and science.. I have just as much faith in God through our Lord Jesus Christ as you.. and I take God at his word. But please explain to me why you have such a view point and not open to interpretations?
As to your point about the styles just simply down to different writers, even Genesis had different authors. For example the flood stoory came from Babylonia and the Abraham to Moses leaving Egypt has been attributed to Moses...
Did you look at the web link or find info on that book I suggested?

Back