What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus fly trap acting strange?

I was trimming a dead trap from my vft and i tried t manuver the smalles one into the open so it wasnt smushed underneath the others. it was a hassle but what urked me was that the trap didnt close from the vibration of my moving it. due to that, i began poking the hairs to see if it would close and it wouldnt. it isnt black or turning black, it is a pale looking green. im not quit sure what to do with it. do i cut it off or leave it?
I have another trap that is like this too but the 'teeth' are bent and look dead but the rest of the tra is in shape. but it also has the problem that it wont close.

Traps may not respond or respond very slowly or only partially when the plant is dormant. Ditto if the trap was triggered and just reopened. Speed of response is also dependent in part to temperature - warmer temperatures gives faster responses.

All the other traps close when dirt or water gets inside (too much watter) except for these two. i think it has to do with the leafs being smushed so its not getting any circulation or something. i mean i really jabbed the hairs with a tinny screw driver and nothing happened

It could be. I wouldn't worry about it unless all the new traps are non-functioning too. If that happens you could always clone the plant and advertise it as something new.

Its likely not closing because its winter, and the plant is probably indoors..
both factors make a very sluggish plant..

traps close best in the middle of summer, outdoors, with much direct sun.

right now the plant should be dormant.
so..its probably acting normally, considering..

Scot

Back