What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Utricularia sandersonii

how do I get my Utricularia sandersonii to bloom?

Keep it warm and wet (I keep it in the tray 1/3 of a pot submerged) and it will start blooming by itself.

i have it 70f and 1/2 submerged guess its a matter of time maybe more heat

Plants like that usually need to reach critical mass before blooming.

The critical mass for sadersonii to sustain flowering is rather small then. A relatively recently transplanted strand of sandersonii started pushing out its first flower stalk less than two weeks after it was moved. Mickey, try raising the temperature to high 70's

I suspect that the discussions above concern two different forms of sandersonii - white & blue. The white form has skinny ears and is possibly the most prolific blooming utric in existence. The blue form has wider ears and much less floriforous. Some people have waited over a year for the blue form to flower. Here's Bob Z's comparison pics.

The white form is pretty easy to get to flower:

IMG_0290.jpg

Picture002-4.jpg

Picture074.jpg

The blue form is more challenging:

IMG_0125.jpg

Picture005-12.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Light, room temp, and adequate water worked for me.

i'm not positive of this but it appears they bloom less when they have more root room, and this depends on width of pot as well as depth

i'm not positive of this but it appears they bloom less when they have more root room, and this depends on width of pot as well as depth

I had them growing in 4" pot, then in 5" pot then in 2" pot. They always bloomed for me in matter of weeks after replanting. Not sure if this is a common occurrence, just my personal experience. I am referring to typical U. sandersonii.

Okay, so growing them in 1 inch wide square plastic containes should get them to bloom quickly then.

Okay, so growing them in 1 inch wide square plastic containes should get them to bloom quickly then.
As insinuated by Mr. Za, for the non-blue variety, container size is mostly irrelevant for flowering. Some species seem to need to be potbound before they flower - not the case with the white sandersonii.

Back