What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading lights: HID or T5?

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So, I'm looking at replacing the lights for some of my indoor racks, as I somewhat overestimated my available space when propagating 'dews this year and have encountered some crowding problems as I begin to move my tropicals back inside for the winter. I'm leaning towards the 6-bulb model of the highbay fixtures that Av has mentioned from contractorlighting.com, mostly because I'm unfamiliar with HID lighting and the issues of heat and fragility have me a little concerned.
As for my logistics, most of my plants are short and the light penetration of HID systems wouldn't make a huge difference in most of my applications. I do, however, have a number of Neps that are rapidly outgrowing my T12s, and may even be at the point where T5s will also be suboptimal. I also have some tall houseplants (Norfolk Island pine, bananas, ponytail palms) that would appreciate even the fringe zones of a high-output lamp. Currently I use eight T12 shoplights on my entire Nep collection, but my largest plants are crowding each other so if I were to stick with T12s I'd need at least two or four more fixtures once I untangle the various vines. For reference, I use two or three two-bulb shoplights for each six sq. ft. shelf (4' x 1.5', but sometimes I squeeze up to 2.5' in width by using wide tray that hang over the edges of the shelves.) I also have some larger sundews, such as D. gigantea and my binata strains, that always seem to dislike artificial light and get floppy over winter.
Suggestions? The six-bulb T5 fixture above seems like a pretty good deal to me, at approximately $180-$200 a piece including shipping. I plan to buy a case of bulbs separately to get a bulk rate, so I'm not too concerned about that part of the cost. Like I said, I'm tempted by T5s because they seem easy. I understand that one or two HID lamps could light a larger space than a similarly-priced investment in T5s do, but I'm not familiar with the costs and I don't know how big of a difference there is. Also, does anyone know how the secondary costs affect the overall initial investment and upkeep? (Stuff like exhaust fans, A/C during warm months, etc.)
Thanks in advance,
~Joe

Don't know much here as far as your layout but when I was shopping for lights, these caught my eye. Would love to pick up the 2ft ones for my setup but I see also they carry 4ft 4 bulb models. What I'm speaking of on the page is Sun Blaze's T5 High Output Flourescent System http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml

Back