What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

update on ceph that looks white

Here was the ceph a month ago where i tried to show the pictures were very pale and seemed to have little color:

img0079zf7.jpg

Now it looks like a few of these white pictures have died an turned brown!

img0117fv8.jpg

img0118bp8.jpg

Do older pitchers tend to die? How long does a pitcher last?

Peter

Pitchers usually last for a while. My ceph got kinda pasty looking like yours. I gave it some ground up blood worm and the new growth started looking nice and green again. Assuming that your plant is getting plenty of bright light, then even though CPs can photosynthesize, if they don't have enough nutrients available to make the sugars they need, all the sunlight in the world won't keep them from starving. Try a couple of small bugs and see if that doesn't help. I had to use tweezers to feed mine the bloodworm.

Hmmmm  well I duno if it works for CPs or not.  I haven;t tried, but with orchids that are looking like they are loosing green for no reason we give them a dose of magnesium.  All you do is mix one table spoon of epson salt to a gallon of water.  Now like I said I have never used it on CPs, but I have on orchids.  I have heard some reports say that you can watch the green come back into some orchids that are so deprived of magnesium.  Maybe a light dose of fertilizer would give it a boost too.  Something made for orchids so it is urea free.  Not that the urea normaly hurts anything.  Its just unsuable by plants.  Bacteria in the soil have to break it down to release the nitrogen.  Well we obvously do not want the fertilize staying too long in the substraight so thats why I say urea free.  Let the plant get a dose then flush it away.  Other than that I can't help.  Good luck.

Pitchers don't last forever and turn brown when they're dead. Nothing to worry about - snip them off.

Back