What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unnamed, but seemingly common S. Hybrid?

kath

Katherine
I have a S. Leucophylla x Oreophila hybrid and an S. Catesbaei. I've noticed that most Sarracenia hybrids are named, eg: S. Catesbaei is a cross between S. Purpurea and S. Flava, but this hybrid, (S. Leucophylla x S.Oreophila) doesn't seem to be. Can anyone tell me the name of this hybrid, or is it unnamed?
(All other Oreophila hybrids seem to go like this: Oreophila x Purpurea=S. Pureophila, Oreophila x Minor= S.Mineophila)

Yes, but THERE ARE named oreophila hybrids, google them if you want!
Oreophila x Purpurea=S. Pureophila
Oreophila x Minor= S.Mineophila

Actually you have to visit AllExperts.com they have a Sarracenia Hybrid list :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the names were given as people thought wild hybrids were completely new species. Some, such as leucophylla x oreophila don't occur in the wild and were not given names.

Others were bred artificially and given new names, such as S.x chelsonii, named after Chelsea in London. In this case though, there are wild examples of rubra x purpurea, but it wasn't probably realised at the time.

S.x miniophila and pureophila were also named when they were bred in cultivation. But it looks like nobody bothered with leucophylla x oreophila!

In theory, all the hybrid names should be ditched, but convention means they are still commonly used.

The hybrid names are useful, shortening the amount of time taken to say and write things, but I think someone needs to go along and fill in the spaces. Some are appropriately named, like S. Psittata as a hybrid between Psitticina and Alata. Anyone with half a brain and any knowledge of Sarracenia could work that out! So I think that if it isn't already named S. Leucophylla x Oreophila should be called as a hybrid name 'S. Leuceophila to fit in with the other oreophila hybrids!

I bet that leuceophila would end up being written as just leucophylla by mistake quite often though!

Mineophila, minophila, etc...are just cheap names given to the hybrids by hobbyests. Catesbaei was at one time considered a species, and this is the reason it has the nice name.

Even though i dont like them, i do like making up some names! :D

how about Leucoreola (luke-ore-eo-la) for leucophylla x oreophila?

You can not just make up names willy-nilly. All the Latinized hybrids have their names because, as Obregon said, they were once thought to be true species. Once it became known that they were hybrids the Latin names had been published so they were not changed except to add the 'x' (hybrida) to designate that they were hybrids.

Hybrids created since then (like those with oreophila which has no naturally occurring hybrids) were known hybrids from the start and as such they were not given Latinized names. The *******ized names like minophila and purpophila and psittata are nothing more than crap and are not correct to use (in fact they should not be used.)

The proper way to discuss hybrids is by listing the parentage. That convention is even beginning to apply to those that have Latinized names. The system is not designed to make it time convenient for those too impatient/lazy to type. It is designed to properly identify the plants for what they are. If you find it too burdensome to type S. leucophylla x oreophila then abbreviate it to S. l x o or S. leuco x oreo. But do not just go making up names to suit yourself.

And if that does not motivate you to do it correctly then look at it this way. How about we all just be too lazy to bother to learn the Latin for any CPs because it is just too hard to pronounce and remember. We'll just call them by their common names because that is so much easier. So, with that in mind who wants to trade? I have a flycatcher that is of nice size available. I am looking for other flycatchers but I don't want flycatchers because I have enough of those already. PM me if you are interested.

I interpreted the comments about "making up" of plant names to be in jest...and not something anyone intended to do to actually label the plants they have.

???

The bottom line here, kath, is that the International Carnivorous Plant Society is the registering authority for any named varieties of carnivorous plants. Pyro is right in that the ICPS has determined that it the use of 'latinized' hybrid names, or even cultivar names for that matter, is not allowed.

Latinized hybrid names are commonly used in other branches of horticulture, like orchids. However, this is not acceptable for CPs.If you want to check on any names you hear, the best resource is the CP Database, which can be viewed/searched at http://www.omnisterra.com/bot/cp_home.cgi.

As far as the hybrids oyu have mentioned, they should all be referred to by their parentage, as has already been stated. For example, S. oreophila crossed with S. purpurea should be referred to as S. (oreophila x purpurea).

There are certain natural hybrids which were given latinized hybrid names early on, and these were maintained because of their widespread usage. For example, S. alata crossed with S. leucophylla is called S. areolata. d' Amato's book The Savage Garden has a list of accepted natural hybrid names.

Also, remember that not all information on the web is factual. It's unfortunate when people subscribe to the incorrect information; but at least you are on a forum where there are knowledgeable people who can help you in your quest for FACTUAL information! : )

Regards,

Mike

Back