What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown VFT

0820091335_id.jpg

I think it's a typical of some kind, but it's unlike any of the other typicals I have - it ALWAYS grows low to the ground (even at the beginning of spring) and rarely gets much if any red coloring.

Are there any species aside from some variety of typical that share these traits? I know it's a bit vague but I'm hoping the pic + description might at least help narrow it down.

It's just a typical.

I have many seed grown VFT. Seed grown plants can have many different traits to them. Especially since I cross mine with my different cultivars I have. Some grow like 'Big Mouths', but I would never call a seed grown plant that. In the end, they are all typicals.

Low Giant keeps its petioles against the ground, but it also gets some very nice coloration to the traps. If you bought it as a typical, its a typical, maybe just a bit of a mutation....seperate it, give it full sun and see if the trait is stable.

It looks to be a typical form to me. Keep in mind that, even among the typical forms and other cultivars of Dionaea, there is going to be some often wide variability. Some color up nicely while others remain pale; some are upright early in the season while others remain -- even during Summer -- as ground-hugging rosettes . . .

Back