What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unknown dews

3064776d.jpg

229c1178.jpg

Hmmmmmm, I dunno. The first appears to be a Drosera spatulata form. If the flowers are white is likely a NZ form. Get me a shot later from the side, buds/stipules/bracts and best yet flowers and I might venture a better opinion. The second photo shows lamina that are sort of trucate - could be a South African, suggestive of D. natalensis....but these are shots in the dark so don't write up any labels just yet.

lol thats about what my guess was although i dont remember recieving any spatulata other than the Hong Kong form from Rex. and i figured the second was a south african as some sort will get more pics as i have time. flowers should open by the end of the week and ill go home for lunch and try and get a pic of them.

Or maybe D. dielsiana?

That bottom picture doesn't look like either of those 2. The tentacles extend to close to the base of the leaves. And D. natalensis atleast the (Zimbabwe, Chimanimani Mnts) form narrows out much more at the base of the leaf.

I'd say it looks more like D. admirabilis

Not any D. admirabilis that I have been aquainted with, and the Zimbabwe form is very atypical for D. natalensis. Not saying it IS D. natalensis. D. dielsiana is also highly variable and I would not eliminate that possibility either. Time will tell.

bugweed is going to come any second and say 'You can only tell when it flowers. Flowers set species apart not leaf shape!' ya i called it.
alex

The funny thing with the South African species is that many of the forms "morph" into others as you view them in different points in their growth. I have had D. aliciae die back, and when restarting growth I'd have bet my Stetson hat it was D. dielsiana. Later in growth, it was its old self.

Looking at the photo again, there are too many leaves for either D. natalensis or D. dielsiana. With this form, I'd probably go with Alice's Sundew, focusing on the truncate lamina.

All is guessing games without a good floral shot or seed testa details.

The second plant is almost certainlyDrosera aliciae as William has inferred. Definitely a South African species and definitely not a form of D. natalensis or dielsiana.

i thought aliciae doesnt flower on a regular basis? this one flowers several times a year. freaking plants. hope to have a flower pic up this weekend if the plant cooperates

Drosera aliciae is a little shy on flowering - you must have the touch! I am still not discounting D. natalensis: I have grown plants that were almost exactly like D. aliciae in the shape (although not in number) of the lamina (Vic Brown grows it) but the details of the peduncle were quite different - buds more oval in shape, etc. The likely winner is D. aliciae, D. natalensis is not making the rounds much in our area.

The first pic is the one that looks similar to D. dielsiana or spatulata, to my untrained eye. The second pic looks a lot like my D. aliciae:

AF002401.jpg

When Seandew and Tamlin speak... it's like an E.F. Hutton thing for me!

lol Jim, i has a great amount of respect for Tamlins and Seans ideas, mostly the comment was just questioning a comment Tamlin made in another thread about aliciea about it being an uncommon flowering dew(im thinking he was refering as a comparison to capensis and spatulata that it doesnt flower much) but as you can see by the pic it has 3 flower stalks(all new) and i know ive cut stalks off on a regular basis. i dont expect a positive ID until i provide better photos of the requested areas and even than it might just be a probabaly thing

For me, Drosera aliciae only flowers in spring and summer. Mine are grown outdoors in a greenhouse where conditions are very close to those they would experience in nature. I would think that if they were grown inside with additional lighting (is this the case?) or in a more stable environment the rate of flowering would differ and potentially increase in frequency.

It wasn't so for me, I grew them both in and outdoors. Of course, I may just have had a shy flowering variety. I mean, they DO flower, just not as frequently as Drosera spatulata or D. dielsiana. D. coccicaulis is another that only flowers once per season in my conditions.

yep grown inside under lights. though they do experience temperature swings, especially this time of year when we dont run heat or AC much and leave the windows open

Mine is simply in the bathroom window, with no appreciable temp swings and it could stand better lighting! It got better lighting last year at the lab than it does now in the bathroom window. Go figure... These plants can be as unpredictible as... well... you know...
smile_m_32.gif

here are close ups of the second one. i was wrong, the spatulata looking one was going to be blooming soon. the South African looking one is just putting out new stalks and it will probably be a week yet if the stress from moving doesnt cause them to abort

dbfe8d5d.jpg

76d4c497.jpg

Back