What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UGLY plant pic thread

Ok, I know I'm not the only one who has browsed the threads on here trying not to slobber too much on the keyboard while viewing the pics of many of the fine collections represented on here only to look suspiciously towards my neps and wonder just what the heck I was doing wrong.

This is the place for us all to step forward and say "man, some of my plants really suck". Hide no more friends, for I'm guessing that pretty much everyone has something tucked back behind the front row of attractive plants that they know is there, but would rather not advertise it.

Maybe you don't have the right conditions. Perhaps a squirrel had its way with some of your sarracenia. It could be that the plant is somehow deformed with a peristome only a mother could love. It doesn't matter. Show us what you've got.

I'll start with this one. She's a miranda that I got last summer. It finally settled in and tossed out two pitchers for me before winter's lack of sunlight kicked in. I do not have the setup for lighting these big neps so it suffered through the winter. She went outside in the spring and while adjusting to the outdoors was welcomed by a nasty hail storm that tore several leaves.

I'm pleased that this location for neps seems to be working better than last year and this plant has put out a basal that is pitchering at this time, but the scars remain from a difficult winter and spring.

miranda.jpg

I bought some sarracenia mid summer like 12 plants and they arrived in okay shape but they took a beating from being un potted shipped and mailed and re potted during the growing season. They are starting to look good and acceptable now.

When i bought my ventricosa a few months ago the growth point had broken off during shipping. After a few months of settling into my conditions & putting out new growth points it finally started to pitcher. The first two pitchers on the new leaves have deformed peristomes, & this is the worst of the two. It also had a new pitcher open up right next to it, I guess to show off. :-D

untitled-1.jpg

Here is my N. amp 'green'. This is what drastic changes in humidity (apparently it was extremely high, to low) can do to a plant:

P1020423.jpg

I received two other plants from the same order as this one. They suffered little to no damage in the acclimation process.

Crystal

Here's mine:

My dying N. ventricosa red. Improper nourishment I think. I could not find a well-balanced fish emulsion for it. Insects were not enough... Grew in the same light and conditions as my other Neps. Stopped pitchering and then started to turn brown. I gave up on it. I pulled it out and tossed it in the trash.

I actually think that it was not all that healthy when I bought it from a carnivore seller in California. :( My last time with them........

deadN_ventricosa.jpg

Back