What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ugh! stupid rabbits!

• Thread starter wnied
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flytrap
W

wnied

Help!

I recently purchased a Venus Flytrap and made the mistake of leaving it under some large yukaa plants in my backyard. Seems one of our local rabbits decided to gnaw this thing down to the root! I want to try and salvage this poor plant and need advice on how...

All help is appreciated!
~wnied~

not much you can do except leave the plant alone and it will probably sprout new leaves! just keep treating it exactly the same as you were before..(should be sitting in a tray of distilled or rain water, and getting as much direct sunlight as you can give it)..
you might want to move it to a new location though!
wink.gif

where rabbits cant get to it..
but just leave it alone, dont re-pot or anything, and if the rhizome is undamaged, it should just push up new leaves and recover fine!

Scot

Scot

Thanks, I will just let it sit in its new "Anti-Rabbit" location.

~wnied~

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Screwy wabbit[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Elmer Fudd.
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Anyways, I agree with Scot. Give it the care as if it had all it's leaves and pray.
wink.gif

Later
wink.gif
Wes

for a second i thought this was a post about someone feeding the flytraps trix cereal becuase in the commercialt the kdis would always say :
" silly rabbit , trix are for kids "

in this case it would be :
" stupid rabbit , flytraps are for CP'ers "

lol
tounge.gif

HEHEHE. That was a good one. HEHEH.

Wes

Jeff,
the "rhizome" is the part of the VFT that is underground, its kinda like a bulb. its a big white chunky thing, with roots coming off of it.
sarracenia also have rhizomes..
so the rhizome is *part* of the plant..
So in the rabbit episode, if the rabbit only ate the leaves, leaving the rhizome intact, new leaves should sprout from the rhizome..

rhizome.gif

Ugh!! Nooooooo!

All of the leaves that the rabbit bit, have withered brown....

I'm leaving it in the sun, planted in canadian peet moss, and half submerged in distilled water...So the root is completely hydrated. Please tell me this is normal...

If this plant dies, theres going to be a few less in the Rabbit populace around my neighborhood!

~wnied~

@ Scott, you're quite the artist!

@ Goldtrap: Boooo, hissss
wink.gif
wink.gif

@ Wneid: The leaves turning brown and dieing after being damaged isn't a surprise. Hopefully the rhyzome is strong enough to produce some new leaves. Only time will tell. I hate waiting, too!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ July 29 2003,12:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@ Scott, you're quite the artist!  

@ Goldtrap:  Boooo, hissss  
wink.gif

wink.gif

@ Wneid:  The leaves turning brown and dieing after being damaged isn't a surprise.  Hopefully the rhyzome is strong enough to produce some new leaves.  Only time will tell.  I hate waiting, too![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
he didn't draw the pic, he found it off of another webpage...
tounge.gif

That's a funny one goldtrap
alien.gif

What the ...wnied, you stole my avatar!
wow.gif

my chickens did that once too!

Pond boy, Why'd your chickens take Larry's avatar?

ugh.......no they ate the traps off my vft!

pond boy, Here is what you do. You go get some chicken meat, and show the chickens that the fly trap can eat them!
wink.gif

Just kidding btw.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pond boy @ Aug. 20 2003,07:4
alien.gif
</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ugh.......no they ate the traps off my vft![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hehehe...I knew what you meant, but couldn't resist asking.  It's the smart@$$ in me
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif

Speaking of chickens, a small cage made of chicken wire covering your plants would help protect your plants from critters eating them.

Back