What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Utricularium experiments

These two Utricularia haven't been doing well since putting them outside in spring so since there wasn't much left I decided to try something with what you see here:

utrics1.jpg

First I fit some wood in a couple "Death cubes" they're sold as "Amec Boxes" at TheContainerStore.com in all sorts of sizes up to the death cube 4" x 8". We ought to petition them to make them up to 12" x 24" :D

utrics2.jpg

Here are the planted/inoculated "Utriculariums".

The U. tricolor was put in the left over peat/mud from the living clay background I made. A few pieces of live sphagnum collected from a muddy area were poked around the base of the cork.
utrictricolor.jpg

The U. sandersonii pieces were placed on in LFS. There's a clump of moss found growing on wood that is in the fork of the branch.
utricsandersonii.jpg

These may or may not be successful little setups, we'll see what happens with them in a few months under T5s. I plan on letting the water levels vary through evaporation.

Last edited:
i've done a similar setup with utricularia graminifolia but i filled the water up to where the utrics were.

DSCN3176.jpg

DSCN3142.jpg

the tank setup
DSCN3167.jpg

more flowers after the setup matured
purple-pinkflower-gram.jpg

I love that! :D

Have you made others? I'd love to see them.

Are there shrimps, guppies or killi fry there in pic #3?

im working on some. i'd love to do an orchidioides but i dont have enough material right now. maybe longifolia could be something in the future. the trick is finding a plant that grows readily on the driftwood. java moss works great for me--that in turn gives the utrics something to grab a hold of. yeah there are a few shrimp in there as well. but i think what you're seeing are tiger endlers.

amp, I suprised those branches didn't rot. Great looking set up though! Both of you guys are giving me some ideas.
And swords, I've really been wanting tricolor. Where'd you get it?!?!?

I wedged a 2" wad of longifolia roots and leaves into the clay background test tank's java moss covering to see just what it does there, it hasn't shriveled up yet so that's a plus! LOL

I got the tricolor off ebay in Oct of '09. It was doing well until I put it outside. Hopefully it will come back with the little round leaf carpet, that's all you get though, little round leaves, I've never had blooms yet. :(

Fishtank with Aldrovanda & U. gibba:

Picture003-22.jpg

Picture023-3.jpg

Picture030-1.jpg

i think its a myth that tricolor flowers, i dont care what those European guys say, i think their pics are photoshoped........i fried it, froze it, drown it, dried it and could not get the dang thing to flower.......that said i did find out how to get it to grow like mad.......hot and waterlogged......threw some in the algae sludge in the bottom of a lowland nep tank right over the under tank heater in about an inch of water.....grew as a semi affixed shallow water aquatic using the algae, and the odd bit of peat and LFS washed out of pots as the growing media......dang thing took off like it was given growth hormone......still didnt flower though.....

by any measure of the geneva convention what i have done to U. tricolor prolly should have me brought up on charges.....could not get the SOB to flower though.....

tricolor could be more versatile than you think. my "quelchii" ahem tricolor (im like 80% sure unless a utric pro chimes in) was growing in highland conditions and is growing like a weed. flowers, flowers, flowers.......if only.

it is versatile....it survived everything i threw at it and even grew......could not trigger flowering to save my life is all....

My tricolor flowered... once....

pics or it never happened! :-D

Well I guess it never happened! Seriously, I didn't own a camera at the time (2007) and I was living off borrowing from friends. By the time I could get a camera, the flower had faded and it wasn't worth it.

Im curious to see how these Utriculariums are doing. I am currently looking at an empty large Death Cube and am getting ideas, what have the results been?

An update? Let's see... (uploading pics)...

calcyfidapink1.jpg

calcyfida & Riccia fluritans liverwort (Riccia is climbing the stick)

calcyfidapink2.jpg

U. fulva

fulva1.jpg

U. nephrophylla
nephrophylla1.jpg

U. sandersonii the moss is doing GREAT! LOL

sandersonii1.jpg

U. tricolor it's doing good in the kitty litter + peat moss mud

tricolor1.jpg

"U. quelchii" still has the immature tricolor leaf shape, there are now 5 leaves. Curious if putting it in a net pot to air out/cool off the roots more will force the thicker paddle shaped leaves and tubers.... wish I had more to experiment with.

uquelchii1.jpg

Now finally, here is an unidentified Orchidioides section Utric that has two different shaped grassy leaves. I'm making a separate post on this one with more pics but here's the environment. It is starting to follow the moss and climb the stick.

uspnoidorchid1.jpg

Back