What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata

Joachim,

Interesting to see the plant sold as highland truncata from Thomas Carow. It seems to be a bit different morphologically from the highland truncata from Borneo Exotics. One difference you can see between the standard lowland and highland variety from BE is that with the lowland one the new leaves start to unfurl from the middle of the petiole, then slowly form a 'D' shape until just the pitcher is enclosed in the petiole, then the pitcher is finally released. With the highland variety, the pitcher grows out of the petiole first, then the leaf comes out in more or less one stage. I see in the picture of you highland one that it has the same growth habit as the lowland ones in that respect. Maybe this is a third variation of the species, or some intermediate variety.

There are a couple of other morphological features between the highland and lowland varieties, but I can't see enough to tell from your photo. Rob Cantley is the guru when it comes to the subtle differences of the two.

Hamish

Joachim, I mean the flared upper peristome, and larger sizes.

Hi Hamish,

it has been a long time I grew the lowland form so I can't make direct comparisons. AFAIK the 'highland' form hasn't been formally described, though I believe that the form from Thomas Carow is very similar to the highland form Rob offers. Here is a pic of an unfurling leaf, maybe it might help identifying it:

N_truncata_250505.jpg

Ah, and yes Rob has seen this clone in person and he has identified it as highland form.

Cheers Joachim

Looking at it closely, you can see another indicator of the highland form, and that is it's rich, orange down - the highland form is much more hirsute than the lowland one.

H.

hey!! This is about MY plant!! You guys go jack someone elses thread LOL!!

Back