What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trucks

Ah finally something I can relate to. :-D There are several good points in this topic so far, but as someone as already said, an engine is nothing more than a big air pump. Blowers, superchargers, turbos, all do nothing more than increase air volume by different means. The more air you can "charge" into the engine, the bigger the motor thinks it is, therefore the more power that can be made. Now technology has finally caught up with turbocharging and the ultimate benefits of it. A turbocharged engine creates the charged air effect without costing the motor anypower, unlike a blower or supercharger that first steals power by having to be belt driven then creating power affter. A proper sized turbo far exceeds power gains of any superchager or blower. And is far more reliable. Diesels have been turbo charged for years commercially, creating enormous torque and horsepower from lathargic diesel engines, and very reliable. And as for exhaust...... there is NOTHING better than a great sounding V8, chevy preferably, but I can have respect for a well tuned anything. I own and build chevy motors, and have even done a ford (once for a friend, take one for the team kind of deal), and love building 60's hot rods. If you have questions I can usually help, and dont let adnedarn fool you, that kid knows a lot about cars, he is my wrenching partner. Have a good day to you all, talk to you soon. :cool:

Wow, you really do skim topics here? I had NO idea. lol I see you changed your flower avatar to the motor from you boat. :D

:offtopic: When are we going back out? that trip last week was really fun :)

I told you I look at the forum, just usually I dont know alot about what is being discussed, so I cant really chime in. But you know if has to do with motors and such....:banana2: Anyhow we are supposed to go and sign the papers on that house tomorrow, FINALLY. So I am sure I will be in there tearing it up and getting the contractors in and such, but lets look at may and pick like a 3 or 4 day over a weekend. I have time to take so we just have to make sure it works with you guys.

Well you tell me what you think.

I want to 'unlock' t his engine to what it is capable of doing, obviously spending the least amount of money.

Here is the cold air intake I am looking at, dyno proven to boost the most HP out of your engine. http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=16406

And this is the biggest question, I know what flowmaster sounds like, but i heard magnaflow is better for low end torque and power, but im not sure what it sounds like. But I am leaning towards magnaflow for the performance aspect, plus I heard it is a lower rumble/growl, which would be more appropriate versus a sports car rumble with flowmaster. Is my line of thinking right? This is a kit i was looking at but I think it would be cheaper to buy jsut the muffler and pipe it with some cheaper piping. http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=15997

Here is the page I plan on ordering parts from:

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi-bin/ppistore.pl?user_action=link&link=storelist

My truck is a 97 F150 XLT 4.6L V8

Nepg- I'd say they both will giver performance... Pick the one that sounds how you like. I don't' think you'll "feel in your butt" the difference in torque between the two. you don't' know what magnaflow sounds like? check out the link i gave earlier in this topic for videos of my truck with magnaflow...

Thats what I thought Andy, all these really high up motorheads like Troyer, all the hot rod people are saying blah blah flowmaster reduced low end torque. Well yeah it might, but thats not going to really matter if its like a 3% reduction, one you won't notice it, two your trailer towing won't really be affected and three, you'll burn rubber better ANYWAYS cuz your modding your truck. The only way they know flowmaster reduces torque is because of what the dyno says. So thats my reasoning. I really like flowmaster 50 series. 40 series is nice as well.

just skimming along as usual...

has anyone asked you to help them move yet?:jester:
that's one thing i hate about trucks. that and the (lack of) gas mileage.

so, your grandfather just GAVE you a vehicle? that's pretty awesome

I HATE cars. I'm 6 5 and I am not riding in a car for 3 hrs one way to college! Its just not practical. Gas mileage, eh who cares anymore, I only live once so I'm drivin what i want! lol

My grandfather didn't give it to me or even offer it to me yet. But he can give it to me one because he is old and knows he wont ever drive again (diabetes and prone to blackouts). And two, he is a billionaire because of his wise investments, so he can afford it.

I know you are into the little cars techno and that is fine. But 4cy do not need all the airflow or larger engines. And a "resonator" (just to be loudeR?) can't help performance.
are you saying you don't think a 4 cylinder engine pushing 28 psi of boost and turning 7500 rpm doesn't need airflow? i hate to be the one to break it to you, but you're mistaken in this case. a turbocharged 2 liter engine at 28 psi of boost is flowing an equivilent amount of air as a 6 liter engine, as the turbo is forcing an extra two atmospheres of air into the engine.

do you also believe that every person that modifies a "little car", as you put it, is doing it only to be louder? again, you would be mistaken. while there are some people that are only looking for that effect, they would be a kin to the same guys running around with the exhaust hacked off of their 84 z28 because they believe it "sounds good". there are a great deal of people out there are are making simply incredible amounts of horsepower from small displacement engines. a simple trip to the book store will allow you access to several decent magazines that could educate you a little further (try sport compact car, turbo and high tech performance, or modified).

nep g: you state you want to unlock what the engine is capable of. you really need to sit down and think about the intended use, and amount of work your you're willing to put into this truck, and your budget. will you be using it for towing? do you want to rebuild the engine with forged internals? do you have emissions testing that you need to pass? are you unwilling to run premium fuel all the time? answers to a few of these questions will be able to help guide you and will keep you from buying parts that you will be replacing later.

tech...

Good point technoracer!And another performance mod you can do is install a e-fan instead of the engine driven fan,it will free up horse power and give you better gas mileage.

Jerry

Tech, I'm pretty sure you know what I'm talking about but you insist on saying I don't know what I'm talking about and a magazine can educate me more. We've talked on AIM before about your (Focus I'm pretty sure right?) And as my brother said a little bit back that turbos, superchargers etc can give incredible amounts of HP and torque. Am I being stereotypical? YES Are there smaller displacement engins that run like crazy? ABSOLUTELY Are the majority of these cars that pass me on the street running "28 psi of boost and turning 7500 rpm" NOPE. The majority of them paid a few grand for a car. put a body kit on it, changed the exhaust to be nice and loud, MAYBE threw some nos on it and call it a "race car" These are the ones I'm talking about.

I'm sorry the pictures are messed up. (car was actually red not purple) The files got damaged at one point or another. Maybe Ron still has some pictures. but this is a car he used to have. I will not deny that a non-V8 motor cannot preform. Cause this car FLEW. And the 4 wheel steering was awesome. What was it Ron? Stage3? So I really don't think we need to get into the "educate yourself" statements Techno. I've dealt with these vehicles before. But like I said. I'm talking about the majority of them. Not the few that do it right (as you probably have, and as Ron's Nissan was). The exhaust on this car was performance exhaust, but was no louder than performance V-8 exhaust. So back to my original statement that I don't know why 4cyl cars have to be louder than V-8s. There IS performance exhaust that sounds good and isn't so loud for them. It's just not picked as often as not picked it seems.

Andrew

Is your 281 cu. in. Ford a 16 valve SOHC or 32 valve DOHC?
Before you go buying parts, you had better determine which.

if grandpa is a billionaier, why such an old truck? why not ask for a SRT-10 or Ford Lightning if you want fast + truck?

that was my 1st thought anyway.

I'm not running premium fuel, that is out of the question.

Its going to be just a pickup truck, towing occasionally, but primarily driving around, hauling stuff on and off.

I think a cold air intake and performance muffler would do wonders for it, but I'm going to have to talk to over with my friend, who has loved Ford his entire life, works for them and has his own business as well.

Lauderdale, I'm pretty sure it is an SOHC. But not 100% sure.

Bugfreak, because I cannot pay for the GAS for an SRT-10, nor would he buy that for me, I'm not a mooch.

Go with a E-fan,I'm going to install one on my S10 one of these days.

Jerry

cool- you have the 4.3L Vortech? That was in my last truck and ROCKED! The Jet stage 2 module was awesome. Just need intake, exhaust, and low temp thermostat. :)
Andrew

Do E-fans cost more than the other ideas you're kicking around? If all you want is for it to be "just a pickup truck, towing occasionally, but primarily driving around, hauling stuff on and off", you don't actually need to spend anything because it's one of those already. But if you'll feel more fulfilled having 350 hp to get you to the laundromat instead of only 300 hp, then get out the credit card and go for it.

Efans cost about what my total plan of attack is for more than one upgrade. (CAI and muffler) The efans aree around from what I have found $120-500 The lower end is a single large fan, higher end is a dual fan combo, I'm assuming one way or the other each cool your truck sufficiently, but the dualies are probably more efficient perhaps.

I put an e-fan in my rx7 a few years back. In total the whole thing cost me about $50 bux. I got the fan from a junkyard and a controller from Pep Boys.

Back