What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trouble with schizandra

My schizandra keeps failing to open leaves as you can see in the photo.

I grow him covered up in 100% humidity with that container cover.

The night temperatures are 22 degrees celcius, and the day temperatures are 30 degrees celcius. I give bright shade.

In farenheit I think thats roughly 70 at night and 95 by day.

May I ask for some advice on what is not going on right with the schizandra?

Heat stress.

Heat stress indeed. These guys prefer it cooler. Think highlander

As everyone else stated, heat.
But also be careful how bright your light is. I had one growing for some time that was getting an hour or 2 of direct sunlight in the evening. The plant started to look bad and ended up dying. I think it was the light because it was grown inside with the A/C on, and talking to the person I got it form, they thought it was too much light.
There is a thread at the ICPS site about this plant as well. They look great from the pics and it says it was growing in a deep shaded location in a greenhouse.

B.T.
I agree with the other's comments but also add that your media may need to be changed for optimum growth.

Here are some threads to review: greenhouse floor (thread elgecko mentioned), growing media, general & another general thread.

It's an interesting plant that grows very well once you give it the conditions it likes. It also tends to throw off lots of pups when it's happy. A side benefit is that D. prolifera will also thrive in these conditions. Phill & Siggi appear to have really unlocked it's secrets ....

Thanks for those resources. I'll dig him out tonight and sit him down in a pure lfx mix in a wide tub. I can't do much about the cold though. I'll try to lower the light levels as well.

The only thing I can do about the cold is to grow him in the fridge and my mom would probably throw the plant away first, or throw me away first!

Cool, it that a soup container its growing in? I use those a lot

That it is. Here in Singapore, the takeout containers are not environmentally friendly, they are all high quality plastic. I'm going to be getting one of the large soup bowls to re pot this guy into with the Moss. But if it is a question of cold temperatures, I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do.

Back