What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical storm

Tropical Storm Ernesto was the biggest non-event since my date with little Suzie back in the forth grade.
Very little rain, 45 mph winds, gusts to 60.
Went to a hurricane party yesterday at 4:00, left at 8:00.
Had dinner, liver and onions topped with smoked bacon, across the street.
Came home and watched TV.
Sitting on the balcony this morning was kinda’ interesting…whitecaps in my coffee cup.
Tossed a paper airplane and it darn near made it to the Intercostal.
I should have evacuated to Reno just for something to do.

10:30 AM update...Hey Ozzy, Ernesto is heading your way.  Your govenor just declared a state of emergency.

lol Actually sounds like a pretty enjoyable weather event from your vantage point. I wonder if your paper airplane will make it to VA.
smile.gif

Last I heard, Ernesto would hit VA but mostly as rain. Which we badly need (its been very hot and dry, dry, dry!). However, since we had a MAJOR heavy rainfall nite before last and more rain called for today...I'm hoping we don't get an amount to cause the the type of severe flooding we had with ol' Gaston when it got stuck over Richmond.

Of course, I am taking some time off (this Sat.-Wed.) and when I do that...it always rains. They should use me as a drought preventative. Works every time.
confused.gif
I had planned to do yard work...

I'm glad Ernesto fizzled and didn't hurt anything too much...especially Jan perched in his eyrie overlooking the ocean.
smile.gif

Yeah he's coming straight for me
smile_n_32.gif

Perfect snake hunting weather. Stay tuned for the pics.

Yeah! Great weather for cottonmouths.  Try not to get bitten this time Oz.

Ernesto was just barely a storm down here but maybe you will get some much needed rain up there PAK.  We get more rain in our average thunderstorm.  Weather news said it dumped more than 11 inches over the glades.  I wonder how they figured that out...probably had a reporter out there, dressed in rain gear holding a mason jar.

The water didn't even slosh out of my toilet bowl so I know Ernesto was just a wimp.

Well, it looks like I'm going to get a direct hit. The winds right now is 70 mph. 4 mph short of being a hurricane. The eye is projected to make landfall 15 miles south of me. That puts me on the stronger north side of the storm. We have already got over 6 inches of rain and the storm is not even here yet. My yard has started to flood. SO it'll be a long night. If it hits at night I doubt I get many pics. I'll do what I can. I'll be online as long as I have power.

The wind have been blowing pretty good for awhile. A few minutes ago, I heard the first "Howl". The rain is just ongoing. It just keeps coming down, and it keeps coming down faster and faster. The strongest part of the storm is just about to move in.

I still think this is going to be a weak storm.

biggrin.gif

Ozzy you are really a cowboy no lie

I think you should change youre name to Cowboy or some thing... instead of ozzy, I mean yea Ozzys cool and all, but youre more of a cow boy! Do you have dusters, and some chaps? A Horse and some blue jeans? and Oh OH oh A cowboy hat, and a button up plad shirt!

you would be a great cowboy!

Go Ozzy!

I'm hoping I get some of it. It's been sort of dark here lately meaning I'm getting some little offshoot clouds so I hope it makes it here.. I love storms and yeah we need rain here too.

If it lasts long enough it should get here on like Saturday?

Well, it's all but over now. The back sideof the storm is about to move through. On the radar, it really looks like it'll be a few more mins of rain, and that's it. We had a little bit of flooding. I'll know more about damage tomorrow. I doubt there will be much though.

I posted these photos of Katrina last year.  They are two of my favorites.

This is a pic of one of the first storm bands of Katrina that came through here.  Our top winds were 92mph.
hurricane_katrina.jpg

I zoomed in on the tanker that you see on the horizon in the center of pic #1.  He was in the Gulfstream.  I call it the "Ghost Ship.
hurricane_katrina_also.jpg

Back