What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tolumnia in bloom

My Tolumina's (T. 'Red Berry') flowers finally opened, after like 2 months of waiting fer the stalk to grow up.

In some light, it has a dark purple color, while in others, it has a sort of dark red coloration.

d0fe912b.jpg

And I was wondering, when should I divide it?
39451c53.jpg

-Ben

Oooh, very pretty! Thanks for sharing! :-D

I don't have any Tolumnia's, but I do have a little over 100 orchids. My personal belief on dividing is, only when necessary. The larger the specimen the more incredible the show when it blooms. If space is not an issue, then I don't divide. When an orchid reaches the critical mass they can put on incredible shows.

Keep in mind that I do not grow Tolumnia's so I am not sure if they are one of the few orchids that prefer to be divided and kept small. If not, then I say let it grow. :D

Ok, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm mainly worried about it's root mass; it has nearly filled the whole pot.

-Ben

Leave it be unless you're looking for an excuse to divide it. I used to have several Tolumnias and, if that one stays happy, it'll grow all over the pot. If you loop a wire throught the pot, you can hang it and it might grow into a plant ball with flower stalks shooting off in every direction. Tolumnias will grow new plants off little stalks (although not all of mine did) and, if you want to start new ones for trading or whatever, you can cut those off after roots appear.

Back